Simple Fence

Printable View

• 12-08-2014, 08:35 PM
    GB1
    1 Attachment(s)
    Simple Fence
    Taken at a lake in Maryland. I wish the left side walkway was a little more interesting. Some post processing..

G

Attachment 93209
  • 12-17-2014, 02:11 PM
    readingr
    Re: Simple Fence
    GB,

This is a moody photo but the post processing is pretty obvious along the nearesy fence post and the tree line.

Just wondering if this would be better with a slightly brighter path and if you'd moved to the left a bit to get a better angle to reveal a bit more of the post in the distance would have made a more effective view.

Roger R.
  • 12-23-2014, 09:32 AM
    sagoRse
    Your topic really nice!
  • 12-23-2014, 02:15 PM
    chipritchard
    great shot!! Very relaxing!!!
  • 12-24-2014, 07:42 AM
    GB1
    Thanks Roger, I agree, the PP is waay too obvious for someone in the know. regarding the angle, I was shooting for a good vanishing point on the fence, and although it was a nice place, but there really wasn't anything interesting on the other side of the lake.. you really had to hunt for things to photograph. Seems like that's the way it is in some areas, nothing really to take photos of.

Thanks too chipritchard, and SagoRse.
  • 12-27-2014, 02:18 PM
    Ptax
    [QUOTE=GB1;529804]Thanks Roger, I agree, the PP is waay too obvious for someone in the know.

I am interested in what to look for in the "too obvious" post processing. Thanks.
  • 12-28-2014, 05:09 PM
    readingr
    If you look around the tree line and the post nearest the tree line then you can see where there is a halo of white which is not a natural look and they follow the lines of the trees and post which is not natural.

Whenever you're editing photos in post processing you need to watch out for halos around objects which can occur as purple fringe or inconsistent shading around objects as in this example.

These become obvious when viewed at the ratio of 1:1.

Play around with editing and go to the extremes and you will see what I mean.

Roger R.

Roger R.
  • 12-28-2014, 07:41 PM
    GB1
    [QUOTE=Ptax;529825]
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    Thanks Roger, I agree, the PP is waay too obvious for someone in the know.

I am interested in what to look for in the "too obvious" post processing. Thanks.

Ptax - Had to think to explain why it looks processed. Here I applied a graduated filter, athough I don't recall whether it was a blue or ND one. This makes the sky more interesting. However, it isn't just the sky that's been affected -- you can see how the top of the posts are also darker than the lower portions. Same with the suspended wires/ropes: the top one is very dark where the bottom one has definition, which would not happen naturally. And like Roger said, there are subtle white outlines around the processed areas.

Good discussion here!
  • 12-28-2014, 09:49 PM
    Ptax
    Thanks for helping me notice and anticipate the PP challenges.
  • 12-29-2014, 01:34 AM
    nashir
    WOW ! Great posting.
  • 01-14-2015, 10:05 AM
    warmchirping
    I love that picture....that's something I would hang in my bathroom as a calming effect while taking a bubble bath.
  • 01-14-2015, 09:31 PM
    GB1
    Thanks everyone. I didn't think it was as good as the feedback I am getting. :p
  • 02-16-2015, 03:49 PM
    keroroslayer
    use more imagination play with light
  • 02-20-2015, 05:40 AM
    leonamaloney
    Nice!
    The left side is ok, so don't worry about it. I think that the mood of this photo needs this left side..