Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: pulleys

pulleys

Thanks for all your comment on my previous photographs - very helpful what ahout this one ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pulleys-mast-base-pulleys.jpg  

Re: pulleys

I love pictures of things like this. I do have a couple of suggestions about what I would do if it were my picture. First the composition doesn’t do a whole lot for me. Maybe if you had the base of the nearest pulley in the very corner of the frame and shot from a slightly different angle. I think a nice angle for these would be to shoot looking right down the ropes toward the pulleys or from behind the pulleys out along the ropes. I also think that if you used a larger aperture for reduced DOF the picture might be improved. I don’t really like how the wall looks dirty and I don’t like whatever that is beneath the ropes as these things attract my attention away from the ropes and pulleys. Another possibility would be to shoot the picture from a little further back so more of the rope is visible and the viewer can tell what that dark object is beneath the ropes. I think this scene has a lot of potential.

Greg

Greg, thanks for your comments. To give you some more information these are mast base pulleys on a the 1994 Whitbred round the world yacht that came second in the 94 race and for some years held the 24hr distance recordthink it was 400 miles - i had the pleasure of sailing her over a weekend in April. Wind f6-7 with just the No 4 foresail up we were easliy doing 15knots pretty scary when the sails are carbon fibre based too. So to the left of the pulleys is the base of the mast and the white / grey stuff below is the now dirty carbon fibre deck.

I agree with the DOF, by all means have a play with the photo - thanks for taking interest

Chris

PS i do have a few others in the series

Nice shot! 15 kts in that type of breeze? Wow. I've never gone that fast on a mono before, but I do race on a 42 foot custom Trimaran that will do windspeed up until 23 kts, at which point she needs a few reefs. There is just something about cutting through the water that fast in a sailboat that just puts a smile ear to ear.. especially when cold spray is hitting you in excess of 40kts ;)

-Chris

Thread Information