Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Moody Morning Shot

This is a shot of my house early one morning. I liked the clouds and the moon, and thought it made for an interesting shot. What do you think?

N80, Sensia 100, Sigma 28-70 f2.8, Bogen tripod, cable release, f4 @ 1.5 seconds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moody Morning Shot-195-02-r640.jpg  
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

here's my take

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    This is a shot of my house early one morning. I liked the clouds and the moon, and thought it made for an interesting shot. What do you think?

N80, Sensia 100, Sigma 28-70 f2.8, Bogen tripod, cable release, f4 @ 1.5 seconds.

i think you need to paint your dormers red, since pink is not the color of a MAN'S home

ok,

move the car
    wider on the right
    move your camera left(center house)
    go vertical!!
    include foreground(lead to your front door)
    get camera as low as possible
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Red face paint your dormers red

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    i think you need to paint your dormers red, since pink is not the color of a MAN'S home

ok,

move the car
    wider on the right
    move your camera left(center house)
    go vertical!!
    include foreground(lead to your front door)
    get camera as low as possible

Red Dormers?! What do think I'm running, a house of ill-repute?! Hehehe. Actually the dormers are "clay". The color that is. They are an earth tone, kinda tan color. The early morning light does give them a pink hue though.

You are right on (as usual) with your critique. The car does need to go, and it is framed too tight on the right side. As for shooting from the center of the house, I'd have to go much wider to include the moon. Primarily why I shot from the location I did, was to include the moon. Lower and more foreground - gothca. Can do.

I figured out why when you comment on a photo, no one else does. Because after you give your comments, there's nothing left to say! You're a regular Rush Limbaugh! :-O
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Lightbulb Why I Oughta.......

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    As for shooting from the center of the house, I'd have to go much wider to include the moon. Primarily why I shot from the location I did, was to include the moon. Lower and more foreground - gothcha. Can do.

I figured out why when you comment on a photo, no one else does. Because after you give your comments, there's nothing left to say! You're a regular Rush Limbaugh! :-O
    no calling me rush and we can still be civil...ok!

as for including the moon.... i can frame that house, 80 feet leading to the door and the moon at 10pm position with 28-35mm..... why can't you??

can't fool me, just because i think a 80-200 is a wide angle zoom
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

can't fool me

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    no calling me rush and we can still be civil...ok!

as for including the moon.... i can frame that house, 80 feet leading to the door and the moon at 10pm position with 28-35mm..... why can't you??

can't fool me, just because i think a 80-200 is a wide angle zoom
    "just because i think a 80-200 is a wide angle zoom"

Rats, you got me!

I'm sure I could catch the moon in the frame. I'm just curious about the perspective. Either the house is going to be rather small in the frame, or I'd have to get closer, and then the house may be hugh in the frame. I'll have to go out in the front yard with my 28-70 and play around, see what things would look like.

Watch out for those 200mm wide angles!:-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Hoo boy, Paul's latest Avatar... (OK, I laughed!)

Anyway, the things I saw that I would change were the car on the right, and it's framed a little tight on the right and the bottom. Night photography can get addicting, ever tried painting with light? Popular Photography (generally not a source of inspiration) had a good article on it. I'll have to give it a try, and this shot might work with it too. Plus, if it's your house, the neighbors won't wonder why you're shining a flashlight at their house!

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

Wink I dont believe

That its the middle of the night and all you can think of is pics, leaving you know who all alone !! lol I agree with all the coments, try again , this has potential to be a cracker.
    Bobby

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Hoo boy, Paul's latest Avatar... (OK, I laughed!)

Anyway, the things I saw that I would change were the car on the right, and it's framed a little tight on the right and the bottom. Night photography can get addicting, ever tried painting with light? Popular Photography (generally not a source of inspiration) had a good article on it. I'll have to give it a try, and this shot might work with it too. Plus, if it's your house, the neighbors won't wonder why you're shining a flashlight at their house!

I also laughed at Paul's avatar! Leave it to him.

Outdoor Photography had an article on night photography a month or two back, and like you, I'm intrigued by the possibilites. That article mentioned using a flashlight to "paint" objects within the scene. Between my mag lights and my spotlight (1,000,000 candlepower) I should be able to light up the house, woods, whatever.

Do you really think the neighbors would wonder why I was shining a flashlight at their house? :-O

By the by, I love your quote. "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!" How very true!

Thanks for the comments. I will be trying this type of shot again.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Relax My Friend...

Quote Originally Posted by bobbythebandit
    That its the middle of the night and all you can think of is pics, leaving you know who all alone !! lol I agree with all the coments, try again , this has potential to be a cracker.
    Bobby
    I did not leave her alone in the middle of the night! I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid!

This was taken early in the morning, as I was getting ready to leave for work. I saw the moon over the house, and the light clouds gave it an interesting look, so I got out the tripod and took a couple of shots.

I could see the car in the viewfinder, and I wish I had taken the time to move it. I did not realize at the time that I had framed the right side of the house so tightly. I'll watch for that next time. Definitely has potential, if I can get it right!

Thanks for the comments buddy.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Thread Information