Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Sepia

Sepia

I've tried to convert this image to sepia. Do you think it worked out well? Are there things I've overlooked or could improve?

Thanks,
    Frank
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard drive?

What does this button do? Ooops. JDub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightree
    I've tried to convert this image to sepia. Do you think it worked out well? Are there things I've overlooked or could improve?

Thanks,
    Frank
    I like it for the most part. The one thing that looks off to me is the mountain in the background. They look dull with a clear color divide at their bottom right at ship level. I'm guessing that maybe it was foggy or low clouds, but it almost looks unsharp on them or something.

Overall I think the sepia conversion makes for a nice shot.

I agree with the above post. I think there is some haze your lens captured between you and the mountains, and sort of "washes out" the detail. I suspect the normal version also had "hazy mountains", right? Maybe try reducing blue channel noise and then doing the Sepia conversion...
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by Hightree
    Hi Frank,

Inherent in Photoshop is a sepia tone action. There is also a pretty useful "aged photo" action as well that is fun to work with (see image below).

If you haven't already done so, go to your actions palette and open the submenu, click "load actions" and select your photoshop applications folder. Then open the "Goodies" folder and select the Actions folder. Click "ok" (or "open" for Mac) and the actions will load into your program where you can run each action through the action palette.

For best results, first convert your image to black/white using lab color, then discard the "a channel". Change the image mode to grayscale and then change it to rgb, and then apply the sepia tone or aged photo action or any other action for that matter.

Ray
    Reseda, CA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sepia-can_pacific3.jpg  

Thank you all for your valuable feedback. I will try to work on this image again and see if the result can improve following your guidelines.

Ray, the 'aged photo' action I didn't hear of before, so I will definately try that (and hopefullly enhance my PS skills a bit...)

Cheers,
    Frank
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard drive?

Thread Information