• 03-24-2005, 11:58 PM
    almo
    self portrait....experimental nudity
    Well I am not sure what to say here except please be honest, and if you just plan on raggin' on me cuz I am fat, or ugly then please keep your thoughts to yourself. It is not easy for a person like me to take such a revealing step into the public eye.

Suggestions on how to improve are very welcome.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...762352_004.jpg
  • 03-25-2005, 01:12 AM
    gahspidy
    Re: self portrait....experimental nudity
    Almo, when you say "how to improve" I'm not sure what it is you would like to express to the viewer, but from a technical aspect. . . a levels adjustment could help bring some better quailty to the image
  • 03-25-2005, 08:11 AM
    Young Shooter
    Its an interesting picture, very dramatic, looks good to me,i also like the fact that its black and white it gives it that feel
  • 03-25-2005, 10:35 AM
    PlantedTao
    This is a great shot...the most honest self portrait I have seen in awhile. Self portraits usually fail because people try to be too clever with the image and it is not truly a self portrait, whereas yours is honest and imaginative, IMHO.
    Personally I like the Composition and the lack of clarity, it adds a feeling of being uncomfortable, yet honest with who you are and in that sense being totally comfortable.
    (does that make any sense :D )
    My one nitpick is the line on the left side...I don't think it belongs, but it does add to the tight quarters feeling.
    All around a great picture and the best self portrait I have seen on this forum.
    Cheers.
  • 03-25-2005, 10:46 AM
    MB1
    1 Attachment(s)
    You know, it is not bad.
    [QUOTE=almo] Suggestions on how to improve are very welcome.
    QUOTE]

There is the idea for a good picture there. The fact that you are large is the main element of the shot, I find the darkness and blur to be distracting as a photo but helpful as a artistic statement.

I fooled around with the image a bit and this is what I came up with.
  • 03-25-2005, 11:59 AM
    stew
    Almo,

I applaud your putting your self portrait for public consumption. I don't think I have that kind of confidence yet. So that alone is grounds for praise.

On top of that, I agree that it comes across to me as a very revealing, honest photo. I agree that levels should be adjusted but not too much (well depending on what feeling you're trying to convey. How did you feel when you were taking this?). The line on the left hand side is a little bit distracting, but not to the point of having to redo the photo IMHO.

Overall I like it.

-Stew
  • 03-25-2005, 01:25 PM
    Overbeyond
    I have to be honest here and say that the pose you have adapted here does not do any justice to yourself as a portrait.. basically it looks as if you have fallen asleep in the path, perhaps after a heavy night on the beer. I personally dont see it as a portrait but an ordinary photograph of you slouched up against the tiles in the bath. Also it lacks sharpness and definition and the bar or whatever on the left is a hindrance.
    I'm sorry Almo that I cannot be more positive on this one.
    Tom
  • 03-25-2005, 01:56 PM
    mtbbrian
    I too applaud you John for putting yourself out there like that, but I just don't think this works.
    The technical side for one.
    The pose, and and what it doesn't reveal and everything else the other's have mentioned.
    In my humble opinion, nudes should be subtle and reveal something about the person or create a subtle mood. Perhaps one of the goals of such a project could be for you to find out something about who you really are.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but since you are big guy, if you are going to continue on with this, maybe one idea you could do is to put yourself out in a vast environment, amongst some trees or a cityscape.
    Am I making sense?

You are very courageous for doing this John and I applaud you!
    I hope what I have offtered and the others helps.
    Good Luck!!
    Brian

I am glad you changed your signature, I hope you are healed up! No Get back On That Bike and RIDE!!
  • 03-25-2005, 02:59 PM
    natefromri
    Looks a bit blurry to me almo. Thanks.

--Nate
  • 03-25-2005, 08:25 PM
    natatbeach
    1 Attachment(s)
    thanks for the inspiration... I very much connected with your shot...I'd like to see it be a bit more in focus and use light (like your red light) to keep us back from the scene but clear enough so that we can see what we're looking at if you know what I mean...

example for reference

I REALLY liked the mood in the red light one...go with it and share your results...
    you just did everything I've wanted to do for a while...like someone said your a lot more honest about your self portraits than I could ever be...mine by comparison are just just self images...rather than true portraits...bravo ;)