Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Seeking feedback on this one

I have mixed feelings on the following image. I'm not sure if it is boring/"ho-hum" or is it too busy with the small surrounding rocks scattered about. I thought it was interesting at the time...someone actually took the time to stack these rocks and when I came across it while hiking today it seemed like a good photo opportunity with the green moss and lichen ground covering and the glacier in the background. Any ideas, feedback, suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks

jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seeking feedback on this one-mendenhall-rec-area-resized-1.jpg  
    Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.

I like it, but it seems like one of those shots tailor made for a wide-angle where you tilt the lens down for some foreground perspective distortion, but yet get good clarity throughout the frame. Maybe you could have gotten on the ground for a better angle on this one instead. Composition-wise, it feels unbalanced.

Good subject, very good exposure, but lacking the "wow" factor because of the composition, with the standing up, subject in the center kind of framing. Getting closer, tilting the lens to put the rocks at the bottom of the frame to show more of the mountain and sky, and/or working some different angles on the rock formation might generate some interesting images. Hope this helps.

Glaciers are always interesting things to photograph when seeking landscapes. Also hard to shoot sometimes because they have that sooty look in spots. I think thi composition could benefit from a variety of possible techniques, including the ones mentioned. Another would be to use a wider angle lens and get more of the mountains (and less grass) but really blur the background so you can tell it's mountains but not "about" mountains if you take my meaning.

You could also zoom in on the sucker and get one jagged peak in the background, using a vertical rather than horizontal composition.

An odd question: did you see / talk to the guy who stacked the stones? Sometimes when people meet an unfortunate end in the mountains, stones are stacked like this to mark the area where they died. They do this in Tibet a lot, although in more of a pyramid fasion. That was the first thing that struck me when I saw the stones.

Sorry but it's true (had to ask).

;)
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thanks guys for your feedback and suggestions. I agree I should have used a wider angle...I'm usually a little better with my composition, I dont know what I was thinking. I was actually kneeling for this shot...it was up on a very small rise.

To Puck Junkey...No, I didnt see who did this and I'm pretty sure no one died there. Sometimes up here people create these rock cairns to mark trails or for directions, although the trails out there are pretty clear to see, so I think someone was having some fun or being creative...maybe just a lot of energy.
    Thanks again to all your ideas. The good thing is this place isnt too far or difficult to get to so I can try again.

jeff
    Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.

i don't think anyonle else has suggested this, but to me, this shot screams for vertical composition. i think that you eleminate redundancy on the left/right and get much more info up/down. just my 2 cents...
    "Too much color blinds the eye."
    -Lao Tze

Re: Seeking feedback on this one

They do have distinctive personalities, though. I got to work with a koala researcher for a time, bringing down a particular group from trees to attach GPS collars and check their health. We were working with a couple of dozen koalas, and our lead researcher had given them all names. After a bit, you could see they were all different.
    https://www.animalpicturesociety.com...de46/5-80c6c3/

Thread Information