Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Farmers Market in Rome - Flowers

Canon DREBEL
    85mm F1.8 USM
    Opinions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Farmers Market in Rome - Flowers-img_0500_w400.jpg  
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

GB1

Re: Farmers Market in Rome - Flowers

Hi manacsa - Pretty straightforward shot.. Nothing bad about it but also nothing very creative. The lighting was Ok, I think, but I also wish it had a little more saturation (maybe it was those "cheap lenses" ... haha). The title is a bit tricky here, I was really expecting more that would depict Rome, and except for the cost in Euros there really isn't. Maybe next time you could get some people in the shot holding the flowers, smelling them, or related. That might add a nice punchline.

GB

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Colour salad.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Hi manacsa - Pretty straightforward shot.. Nothing bad about it but also nothing very creative. The lighting was Ok, I think, but I also wish it had a little more saturation (maybe it was those "cheap lenses" ... haha). The title is a bit tricky here, I was really expecting more that would depict Rome, and except for the cost in Euros there really isn't. Maybe next time you could get some people in the shot holding the flowers, smelling them, or related. That might add a nice punchline.

GB
    Thanks GB. After being on the forum actively for a couple weeks straight, I realize that my photos need more depth in activity/story. I don't get a lot of action unless I'm taking pictures at a wedding. It's somehting I need figure out.

I actually used my most expensive lens but still cheap by other people's standards. I used my Canon 85mm F1.8 USM prime. 85MM becomes 136mm on my DREBEL. It's not easy being in a crowded farmers market trying to back up to take a picture like this. I'm starting to be suspicious that colors come out very flat or muted with this lens. I'll have to read up and investigate. Time for my first product review?

COLOR SALAD! That's what I was thinking!

Thank you.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    After being on the forum actively for a couple weeks straight, I realize that my photos need more depth in activity/story.
    By admitting that, you have already won half the battle. Remember, a shot can be dynamic without having any "action".

As for the "cheap lens" comment, I think it was a joke. I've heard only great things about that lens and it is on my list as well (gotta finish the landscaping first ).

Keep shooting, keep learning.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey

As for the "cheap lens" comment, I think it was a joke. I've heard only great things about that lens and it is on my list as well (gotta finish the landscaping first ).
    Hey he said it, not me !

There can be pretty substantial differences between lenses, but actually confirming what they are is tough work. All my 'great' Nikon lenses (esp the zooms) have barrel distortion, and so does my Tamaron. That's easy to tell by just lining up a straight edge along the sides or top or bottom of the viewfinder. Sharpness is harder to measure because so many things can cause it that aren't the lens, but you can tell if a large body of work taken on one lens isn't as sharp as on another. I would think that contrast would be even tougher to quantify.

Dynamics are only one aspect of photography. Storytelling is sort of another, can be done by a series of photos, by including several different things into a shot at one time, etc. I guess with that, you have to think like a photo journalist.

Btw if you can shoot weddings, you're special. I've tried it and it drives me nuts.

GB

Hey he said it, not me !
    I know it was follow up joke to my posting signature . I'm in the market for a new lens but I'm trying to pick just the right focal length to address my needs. I'll save this topic for another thread in a different forum. As for cost, I was about to cough up money for my first Canon L-series but I'm backing down to Sigma glass. Oh well....

Dynamics are only one aspect of photography. Storytelling is sort of another, can be done by a series of photos, by including several different things into a shot at one time, etc. I guess with that, you have to think like a photo journalist.
    I'm somewhat torn on what aspect of photography I want to focus on. I've always appreciated the photo journalistic style but I love architectural photography. I'm also experimenting with macro. I haven't decided but I know for sure I want to be good at taking pictures of people being people. Posing people for a shot is a challenge and mine arent' very interesting. Still learning...

Btw if you can shoot weddings, you're special. I've tried it and it drives me nuts.
    I rarely do it. I do it for friends and families who need it or for friends of friends who have a low budget wedding. You get what you pay for They are appreciative and I like it but I know what you mean.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    I'm somewhat torn on what aspect of photography I want to focus on. I've always appreciated the photo journalistic style but I love architectural photography. I'm also experimenting with macro. I haven't decided but I know for sure I want to be good at taking pictures of people being people. Posing people for a shot is a challenge and mine arent' very interesting. Still learning...
    Manacsa,

If you love architectural photography, then please don't make the mistake of *not* checking out your future lens for distortion before you buy it. Both my zoom lens have so much barrel distortion that they're basically *unusable* in a city - yes, that bad! Since many zooms suffer from this in one degree or another, you might be better off with a good prime lens. However - many primes also have distortion, so watch it.

GB

Thread Information