Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

My first contribution

Please critique. I never get an honest feel for my shots becasue most people think things look good because they feel they couldn't of done it. My only educated eye is my dad and he is wasy to easy on me because he wants me to keep at it I suppose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first contribution-loon.jpg  

Re: My first contribution

If you can shoot like this I agree with your dad that you should keep at it. I like the tight framing and you did pretty well with the extreme contrast of this subject. I like the irridescense on some of the dark areas. This is a much better shot of a Loon than I am able to get.
    You should be able to get honest feedback here - that's one of the most valuable aspects of this site. Post some more...
    ----------------------------

I agree with Chunk. It looks like you do have an eye for photography. Composition is excellent.

The only comment iI have is that the white at the bottom at the waterline is blown out. If this is a digital camera then I have the same problem with it at the moment but have no cure yet.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

As already stated the composition is good, and I like the tight framing, almost like a portrait. This is a good place to get some help and honest opinions. Many fine photographers frequent this site and are happy to provide feedback.

Welcome to the group, hope to see more from ya.

Am I included in that comment payn817? ;)

The detail is lost in the darkness on the birds head. Maybe you could adjust your levels in Adobe to emphasise this.

Other than that, great job!
    I like the tight framing too. But then I am a big fan of close-ups! Your clarity on the bird is wonderful and I love the depth of field here. Great composition.

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I will post some more for critique tonight.

GB1

The photo is well done as the depth of field is perfect and the fowl's head is sharp and properly exposed (though could have had more direct sunlight to brighten up the scene). I would have lead him a little more, meaning leave more space in the direction of where he is heading/looking (the left side in this situation).

As far as originality it is Ok and good for what it is. However, adding another animal or waiting till he dunked or was doing something funny could make it even better. But that is always hard to capture - you just have to be at the right place at the right time. Or you might be able to induce it to an extent by tossing him some bread or something?

Keep with the photography!

GB

Thread Information