Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

shots of a friend

for her boyfriend...despite the rush and the lighting and my lack of PS skills in some areas(cloning out nasty backgrounds)...I was pretty happy...I just really needed some opinions.

these were her favorites...mine is the closed eye one...all were in color converted to BW...contrast added and diffused glow/grain added...my favorite is the closed eyes...she was cracking up and closed her eyes to "focus" on not cracking up something about it or is it too weird with closed eyes...

all comments appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

i personally like the last one, she really looks comfortable. The "eyes shut" shot isnt wierd, it actually looks more like she is just looking down, "shyly" perhaps.
    oh and i bumped up the contrast and dropped the brightness on this one
    Attached Images Attached Images  

first and last

the first (eyes closed) and last (that jezz picked) are the best of the bunch, i think. i like the grain on the first and you can tell her expression is sort of a contained happiness; overall this one is very nice. the alterations on the last one by jezz definitely helped a little. imho, i would like to have seen this one in better focus, and while i like the hair over her face, i'm on the fence about whether its distracting as it half covers her left eye.

thanks for sharing.

jezz and stew

Quote Originally Posted by stew
    the first (eyes closed) and last (that jezz picked) are the best of the bunch, i think. i like the grain on the first and you can tell her expression is sort of a contained happiness; overall this one is very nice. the alterations on the last one by jezz definitely helped a little. imho, i would like to have seen this one in better focus, and while i like the hair over her face, i'm on the fence about whether its distracting as it half covers her left eye.

thanks for sharing.
    I agree that the last one could definitely have been in better focus(first as well) and I liked more contrast but she didn't ...I agree also about the piece of hair---I CAN"T STAND when girl's have hairdos with that piece of hair in their face...but hey to each his own...

thanks for your ideas and commments ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Talking The First One Works For Me

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    for her boyfriend...despite the rush and the lighting and my lack of PS skills in some areas(cloning out nasty backgrounds)...I was pretty happy...I just really needed some opinions.

these were her favorites...mine is the closed eye one...all were in color converted to BW...contrast added and diffused glow/grain added...my favorite is the closed eyes...she was cracking up and closed her eyes to "focus" on not cracking up something about it or is it too weird with closed eyes...

all comments appreciated
    She looks relaxed and happy. She looks like she's enjoying herself. And as someone has already pointed out, it looks like she could be looking down, or trying to look coy.

The third one is my favorite of the bunch. Again, she looks happy, relaxed, and natural. Classic pose with a beautiful smile, and there isn't any hair in her face! While that may be a popular look, I find it annoying and distracting. Just my two cents worth. :-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    I agree with speed.I too like the natural look in these two.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

You photographed someone other than yourself?

It is good to see that you are taking some portraits of someone other that yourself Natalie.
    I mean that in the best of ways!
    It is a really good thing!

I like all of them, they are all fun and flirty.
    You did an excellent job capturing your friend!

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information