Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Sam The Rapper

Junior Member Master Kraftsmann's Avatar

Sam The Rapper

My friend Sam has a rapper alias called Rage, and wanted some pictures for mixtape covers, or something of the sort lol. His house was being remodeled, so a lot of the drywall and stuff had been torn down and apart and made for pretty cool backgrounds. These two are probably my favorite. What do you all think? Suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by Master Kraftsmann; 06-24-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Re: Sam The Rapper

Something about blue balloons and the attire of this young man that makes the concept of "rage" seem very foreign. These images look less like rage and more like TLC, the guy is finessing the balloon for that matter. The entire image lacks the grit or the tough-ness or the extremeness of the word "rage". Do you have anything without the blue balloons?
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Aw crap, I didn't even think about that! Lol. That's a very good point. He didn't really have a lot of ideas, so I had to make a few up. You're right though, I should have tried to personify the name better. The only good ones without the balloons are pretty plain Jane. For example:

Just a kid on a Mac.
    I think we'll do some more with that in mind, thanks!

n8

Looking at this from a marketing standpoint, I fully agree with Anbesol. He looks like he's deciding which balloon to play with. The bright side is that they are certainly a departure from what I know to be typical rap image...but that may actually be a good start. I'd suggest a reshoot in which he at least looks at the camera for some of them. I think the gutted house was a good choice, and even these would benefit from some grungy edit work...which I'm sure your present company would be glad to demo.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

I was thinking the exact same thing as Anbesol. If you want keep the balloons, then have them pop or have him pop them. If you're going for the opposite name thing, then give him a kitten.

We actually gave that a shot, but it didn't go so well. He can't touch them a lot or even hold them a while because he's allergic to latex. He was complaining a lot after we took that first shot, so I didn't make him hold them anymore.
    Best one, unfortunately.

i like your new direction of popping the ballown. but I'd like to see if you can try and capture the actula pop good luck!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

n8

If you could get a low, wide angle shot of him angrily stabbing a balloon...that'd be great
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Yeah I'm definitely going to do another shoot, and do some more gritty shots. I'll give the balloon one another shot. I don't know why he wanted that one on his roof. Lol. Thanks a lot everyone!

Thread Information