Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Salton poles

GB1

Salton poles

Another shot of the Salton Sea telephone poles. Looks surreal, doesn't it?

GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salton poles-saltonseacoast17_640.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Salton poles

Very nice work GB. I have no complaints...other than I wish I had taken this photo.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

I actually prefer the other photo of this scene. Much richer colors and a sense of the landscape. That photo had a somber feel...more contemplative.
    Although, this is much more surreal...the reflection makes me feel disoriented. I like that quality. Maybe upping the contrast some would help.

Good subject.
    Cheers.
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by GB1

GB

I may sound overly picky but I'd say that the tones in the foreground are too hot comparatively to the cold tones in the background. I'd like the whole scene to be colder. Also, I think that the scene would be even more surreal if you were to crop the lower part just under the first pole so you get rid of the detailled water in the very foreground.

That being said, this is a fine picture of an especially intriguing subject. I have read a little about that area in the past and I would definately love to shoot there, it looks like a photographer playground! : )

Seb

GB1

Thks Z, Tao, Seb. I think this is more of a 'thinking' (mystery) shot more than anything. Tao, I do like the increased contrast in the bottom posting here. The question is, how far to go? Is this too much?

Seb, I cropped out the bottom and it does change the overall feeling of the photograph. I'm not sure about it though... What dya think? This colors here are definitely unusual.... I usually shoot a lot of Kodachrome but also shot a roll of Kodak Ektachrome Vivid Saturated, which this shot comes from, and it did some wild stuff. I'm not sure if it's good or bad. But it does make for some interesting discussion eh?

GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salton poles-poles2.jpg   Salton poles-poles3.jpg  

My Site

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Too much? I don't think so, looks a lot better to me. If you don't believe me, send me a copy and I'll hang it on my wall

The shadow for one is a nice black and you don't get that funky line that you have on the first post. The water looks a lot more mysterious and toxic...I like. The sky is so much richer now and I like the slight purple cast to it. This reminds me of The Stand for some reason, it just need a crow on one of the poles.

In my opinion the cropped version totally kills the feel.

I really like this photo and the saturation just adds to the flavor. Great job!
    With these great color tones and contrast, I bet B&W would work out great also.
    Cheers
    Last edited by PlantedTao; 05-25-2006 at 02:44 PM.
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by PlantedTao
    Too much? I don't think so, looks a lot better to me. If you don't believe me, send me a copy and I'll hang it on my wall

The shadow for one is a nice black and you don't get that funky line that you have on the first post. The water looks a lot more mysterious and toxic...I like. The sky is so much richer now and I like the slight purple cast to it. This reminds me of The Stand for some reason, it just need a crow on one of the poles.

In my opinion the cropped version totally kills the feel.

I really like this photo and the saturation just adds to the flavor. Great job!
    With these great color tones and contrast, I bet B&W would work out great also.
    Cheers
    Tao - Yes, it appears that with the contrast and density changes that it really doesn't need the cropping, and it also gives it more of a toxic feeling - which is should, it's a nasty place. To me, it's like what the earth might look like after a nuclear war, probably where you got The Stand deja vu (even though I think that was a Bio catastrophe).

Maybe I'll do a few high-res scans of it and a few others and print them out and see. Or, make a coliage. ??

Thks for the contrast idea - It definitely worked!

GB

My Site

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

GB
    Looks scarey!!!GB1,,you made such a mundane subject look interesting..As far as I'm concerned power poles are a blot on the landscape and the nemisis of landscape photographers..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Seb

Thks Z, Tao, Seb. I think this is more of a 'thinking' (mystery) shot more than anything. Tao, I do like the increased contrast in the bottom posting here. The question is, how far to go? Is this too much?

Seb, I cropped out the bottom and it does change the overall feeling of the photograph. I'm not sure about it though... What dya think? This colors here are definitely unusual.... I usually shoot a lot of Kodachrome but also shot a roll of Kodak Ektachrome Vivid Saturated, which this shot comes from, and it did some wild stuff. I'm not sure if it's good or bad. But it does make for some interesting discussion eh?

GB

GB, I like the simplicity resulting from the crop but I can relate to the toxic feel expressed by Tao in your contrast enhanced version. In the end, I'd like a crop of the increased contrast version but both versions already works for me as they currently stand.

Seb

GB,

I vote for the crop! That was the first thing that came to my mind when viewing the original. And you cropped it exactly where I was thinking the crop should go.

A great shot man.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

GB1

Thks everyone - It does seem that they both work, in different ways. Something for everyone, I suppose.

I think I'll print the uncropped version, then use some cardboard to visualize how the cropped one would be right then and there.

-GB

My Site

Thread Information