Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Rocky Beach Sunset

I saw some awesome clouds this afternoon over town, and I hurried to the bay for the sunset, but to my disappointment by the time I arrived the clouds had mostly cleared from the majority of the sky. I changed focus and ended up with this. I was shooting at F22, long exposure with an ND8 filter with an overlayed graduated ND4. I would have preferred a stronger grad filter for the sky, but currently don't have any. Does anyone think this is too blown out? Or does it still work well enough? All other critiques welcome, too! And, yes, the horizon is level (I checked at close zoom, rotated/cropped).

My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

Re: Rocky Beach Sunset

I really like the composition and the colors but it is a shame how the sky blew out. I'll often underexpose a bit to avoid this and then bring up the shadows in post to compensate. The "poor man's ND grad". (not that PS is cheap)
    If it were mine I'd probably be looking for an opportunity to reshoot, or to do some serious Photoshop cheating.

Have to agree with Matt, the blown out area detracts from a otherwise very nice image. I don't think there is any recoverable data in the blown out area so substituting a bit of sky in PS is probably your only option.

" Cheating " gee thats a tough call Matt....
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

before i checked the caption i was about to mention the horizon line... were you using a wide angle? that could be the problem. i do think the image needs some correction to fix the perceived error. it does look a bit blown, but it does not seem to hinder the image too much, and i would crop even a little bit more from the top.
    nice work

Very nice photos, and good equipment

It looks great. I would have liked better if the sky was not blown out.

Thread Information