Rock Star

Printable View

• 11-08-2004, 09:19 PM
    Nina
    1 Attachment(s)
    Rock Star
    I was in upstate NY about 4 weeks and caught this girl on a rock. She was posing for quite a few people. I happened to capture this shot far and away on the other side of the lake. I framed the shot with the 380mm zoom from my new Olympus 765 digital camera.
    Any critique or comment would be appreciated...
  • 11-09-2004, 01:10 AM
    gahspidy
    Re: Rock Star
    I like this shot alot. I like the smoothness of the water and its reflections, the colors of the autumn foliage, and the girl sitting on that huge rock is a good visual. Also there is something about the tree behind the rock leaning towards the middle that I find pleasing as opposed to if it had been standing straight up with the frame. I like all the detail captured in that rock. Good camera, great shot!
  • 11-09-2004, 09:51 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nina
    I was in upstate NY about 4 weeks and caught this girl on a rock. She was posing for quite a few people. I happened to capture this shot far and away on the other side of the lake. I framed the shot with the 380mm zoom from my new Olympus 765 digital camera.

Lovely shot just the way it is. My only nit is the the main subject is nearly dead center. With her facing to the right I think the composition could have been stronger with her and the rock moved more to the left of the frame. However than you lose the beautiful red reflection in the water which gives this image so much appeal. Sometimes we can break rules and still have successful images.
  • 11-09-2004, 12:45 PM
    DarkStars
    I love the reflection in the water & the colors are beautiful. I think the composition is great too- good job!
  • 11-09-2004, 06:28 PM
    Nina
    Thank you Gary, Old Timer and Dark Stars for your comments. This pic was actually cropped to the right of the rock so that it wasn't as centered. The end result looks good but I actually didn't mind the original version.
    I'm still very much in the learning process. Thanks all for your comments.
  • 11-09-2004, 07:51 PM
    mtbbrian
    Good Eye...
    I think this is a very good image Nina.
    I think the composition is good.
    The colors are great.
    The image gives a solitary feel to it.
    I am glad to see you are out shooting and posting here!
    Keep It Up!
    Brian
  • 11-10-2004, 05:12 PM
    Nina
    Brian,
    Thanks for the Welcome and your comments.
  • 11-15-2004, 08:21 AM
    slowglue
    I too find the image pleaseing to the eyes but what I think makes it great is the name.
  • 11-15-2004, 06:41 PM
    jcharris
    Hello Nina

I think you did great with this shot !
    What i personally like about this shot is 1) Your composition
    2) The colors is very nice
    3) There is a kind of nice relaxing mood to this shot .
    4) Like someone mentioned before , it is pleasing to the eyes.

Kind regards
    james
  • 11-17-2004, 01:07 PM
    desertphoto
    Nina,

This is very nice image of fall colors. :) The rock and water add a sense of being at a specific place rather than just a vista view of fall colors that are typical of the NE fall. Although I personally try to avoid people in my scenics and nature images, the girl on the rock is nicely composed. Keep up the good work and post more images. :p

One alternate idea that you might like to try for images of this style might be since there is a tall tree in the right background, try composing the rock more toward the lower left of the image (relaxed application of the rule of thirds should work here nicely) while still retaining some of the water but not as much as is there (about half the water should work). Since the water isn't glass smooth then it would be there to add diversity to the natural scene. I would opt to cut some out since it doesn't give a mirror reflection that is somewhat stereotypical for images like this, but then that is just an idea. Get the entire leaning tree at right background to be shown in the image to emphasize the emmenseness of the rock and tree to the stature of the girl. I realize that the girl might be slightly less defined in this composure than in your original image but the idea is to provide a visual sense of the rock and tree's size to the person since it isn't a portraiture anyway.

Also one thing often overlooked in photos with people that can be recognizable, is to get a model release. If you wanted to someday use this photo where a release is required, it might be hard to track down the lady to get one. This is one of the main reasons I try to avoid people in my nature photos.

The above suggestions aren't meant to lessen your very fine image. I have learned to look at images and see what alternative images could be made from the same perspective. Sometimes a very small change can change a very good image into a spectacular image.

Good Luck

Gene
    Ridgecrest, CA
  • 11-17-2004, 07:52 PM
    Clicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nina

Nina, I too think this photo has LOVELY color, love the reflection, and that rock is HUGE. :) Good Job! And congrats on Featured photo !
  • 11-19-2004, 04:54 PM
    Nina
    Your comments and input are so much appreciated, and to have my picture chosen as the featured photo was a happy surprise. I feel so honored.
    Thank you all for your continued encouragement.
  • 11-22-2004, 12:20 AM
    villenadecorte
    Nina,
    Your Rock Star Rocks. I think the framing is excellent and I think the rock and the subject are in a great position. I think the leaning tree really unbalances the very balanced positioning of the rock and girl and makes this shot work so well!
    The foilage is impressive. NY doesnt ever disappoint!

VillenaDeCorte