Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Downtown Winnipeg

Glass Walls

Sculpture

Re: Downtown Winnipeg

Don,

I enjoy the first image, the car being there is a nice reference point. I also like how the car is the only sign of life to this cityscape. The coolness of the glass and being void of color, except the green street light, makes the city seem desolate. Not sure if that is what you were after. Just wish the angle was better to get the full light post in, (it’s a tic-tac call).

Regards,

Phil

Seb

Don, I really like your glass well. I believe that this is well seen. I would slightly crop the bottom to loose the hint of tree in the lower left corner. Then, the viewer would pretty much miss any evidence regarding what he's looking at and the picture would be even more effective. Nice one anyway.

I don't really like the structure. Congrats for trying a different angle but the washed out sky hurts the scene, so does the tree branches.

Seb

Thanks for you frank critiques guys. This is very helpful in guiding my thinking.

drg

I think you have posted the best picture I've seen of your work yet with the city scape and the reflected lone vehicle. Has an abstract quality that makes the photograph.

The slight hints of color and the bare tree (nicely caught in the reflection) lend that all important human element that is needed in this architectural form for it not to be just stark. Good lines and element placement in the composition.

Could use a few minor techinical tweaks perhaps (contrast, levels, slight sharpening even), but other than that it seems to be a keeper.

The second image is eye catching with the bright color, but there seems to be too many partial stories/pieces involved. The building looming behind the sculpture with another building looming behind it with the urban clutter in lower right and the tree limbs don't fit together for me.

A more aggressive composition with the structure/sculpture being framed or backdropped by the front building alone could produce a much better photograph. By controlling the depth of field you could either isolate the sculpture by making the building a softened (blurred) background or use the window geometry to enhance the colored form. One way might result in a very abstract but arresting image.

Looking forward to more and thanks for sharing these!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thank you drg for your kind and balanced look.

I agree these are both your best efforts I have seen. I also agree with Seb on the crop of the first, but my favorite is the second. I love the colors and angle of the shot. If the sky had been a little bit better. Both keepers Don. Your hard work and dedication are paying off. Good work....

Thanks. The feedback helps.

Thread Information