Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Darkness

Darkness

Damn that 95% viewfinder, that flare was out of the frame when I was framing it...grrrr.
    Last edited by Sebastian; 03-22-2004 at 10:25 PM.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

This is real nice,even as dark as it is, and it's very dark at least on my monitor. The silhouettes of the branches , especially the main arched shape one against the moonlit sky is very moody. Also looks like the top of a fire going on in the bottom right of frame. I like this alot as I am into these erie scenes, but, I just can't help feeling like I wish the shot was taken several feet back or at a slightly wider angle so I can see a bit of the terrain this scene is coming out from. Seeing a little more landscape I think would make the rest of the scene even more effective. Just my feeling . . . I like this as is anyway.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    This is real nice,even as dark as it is, and it's very dark at least on my monitor. The silhouettes of the branches , especially the main arched shape one against the moonlit sky is very moody. Also looks like the top of a fire going on in the bottom right of frame. I like this alot as I am into these erie scenes, but, I just can't help feeling like I wish the shot was taken several feet back or at a slightly wider angle so I can see a bit of the terrain this scene is coming out from. Seeing a little more landscape I think would make the rest of the scene even more effective. Just my feeling . . . I like this as is anyway.
    Gary,

Thank you very much for psoting. Bringing the foreground into the frame would have revealed a busy street, a body shop and some shops across the street. What looks like a flame is actually flare from a street sign. I did my best to try to create an eerie and isolated feeling in an environment that is far from eerie or isolated. Your response leads me to believe that I was at least partially successful.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Lightbulb ha.... i beat rob to the punch!!

dude that tree blocks the 3 planets visible for the next few days(5 actually) ;) murcury will be below the moon at sunset and at night you will see.....brilliant Venus, dimmer red Mars, and yellow Saturn all above the moon ;) and guess what... while facing the moon behind your back will be visions of venus

nice shoot BTW
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Gary,

Thank you very much for psoting. Bringing the foreground into the frame would have revealed a busy street, a body shop and some shops across the street. What looks like a flame is actually flare from a street sign. I did my best to try to create an eerie and isolated feeling in an environment that is far from eerie or isolated. Your response leads me to believe that I was at least partially successful.
    Knowing this, you were probably right to leave out the rest of the landscape. Yes, you were successful at creating a myterious setting and with the moon through the branches and illuminating the sky, have a nice shot here. ( I like this alot even if the other planets are blocked out by the branches . . . . . .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Angry Blasted! Paul Beat Me To It!

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    dude that tree blocks the 3 planets visible for the next few days(5 actually) ;) murcury will be below the moon at sunset and at night you will see.....brilliant Venus, dimmer red Mars, and yellow Saturn all above the moon ;) and guess what... while facing the moon behind your back will be visions of venus

nice shoot BTW
    Yes, all five of the naked eye planets are visible now. Mercury is low in the western sky at sunset. Going toward zenith (overhead) you can't miss Venus. Mars is considerably smaller and dimmer than it was at closest approach back in September. You'll find it below Taurus and the Pliedes. Saturn is almost overhead at sundown in the constellation Gemini, and Jupiter is in the eastern sky in the constellation Leo.

Nice shot Seb, despite missing all the planets. :-O
    Actually, in the city, Mercury and Mars probably aren't visible due to all the light. I'll try to get some shots for you. :-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Cool Addendum

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Yes, all five of the naked eye planets are visible now. Mercury is low in the western sky at sunset. Going toward zenith (overhead) you can't miss Venus. Mars is considerably smaller and dimmer than it was at closest approach back in September. You'll find it below Taurus and the Pliedes. Saturn is almost overhead at sundown in the constellation Gemini, and Jupiter is in the eastern sky in the constellation Leo.

Nice shot Seb, despite missing all the planets. :-O
    Actually, in the city, Mercury and Mars probably aren't visible due to all the light. I'll try to get some shots for you. :-)
    Mercury is actually visible from March 20th until the first week in April. All five of the naked eye planets will not be visible together like this again until April of 2036!

Here is Orion's online star chart, showing the positions of the planets. Mercury is not shown because it is only visible for a couple of weeks.

http://www.telescope.com/content/int...jsp?chart=true
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the astronomy lesson Speed... ;)
    -Seb

My website

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

hey listen buster :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Thanks for the astronomy lesson Speed... ;)
    i started the astro geek stuff..... now let's see rob start the bird nerd stuff
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Yeah Speed, how'bout ID'ing some birdies for us, eh? And NO, you can't shoot them to make them easier to identify...
    -Seb

My website

Thread Information