Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: rings

rings

rings.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    Am left wondering what i am looking at and so this does not work for me but thats only my opinion. Maybe a word of your thoughts and what you are trying for might help.
    Bobby

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    I think this could be more interesting if you focused in one the rings more... Get closer and then when you photo shop (if you photo shop) just up the saturation a bit and really bring out those colors.

i agree...

Quote Originally Posted by bobbythebandit
    Am left wondering what i am looking at and so this does not work for me but thats only my opinion. Maybe a word of your thoughts and what you are trying for might help.
    Bobby
    I agree with Bobby's assessment. no context. a sentence or two would help us. but it's interesting.

gets me thinking that it's interesting how some photos are completely "standalone" without words or commentary needed. yet others almost demand it. i am finding that out more and more as my friends peruse my pics. some pics never generate questions like "what is this, and what were you thinking about?" but others ALWAYS generate those kinds of questions.

ok, enough thought for now

I like the 'rings' ...

Quote Originally Posted by hifijohn
    rings.......
    ...and think that the image stands alone well without any explantion. We don't need to know what kind of lights they are to appreciate an interesting image.

A couple of my own camera movement shots can be seen here
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...768&uid=564254

Last 4th of July I mounted my camera on a tripod and pivoted from horizontal to vertical during exposure of the fire works and that also worked well.

Keep experimenting with it. I think it makes for some interesting photography.

If you want to see some great time exposures with interesting effects, hunt down some of Sailorjerry's stuff in the old project archives.

So small

Your photo is so small, it makes it more difficult to critique.

But I like the colors, I like the motion. I wish one of the rings was larger or a unique color, something to make one of them stand out more from the others. But personally I think anything goes with abstracts.

Spike

Unless my eyes deceive me, these aren't physical rings of any sort, but rather you swirling the camera about in circles while doing a long exposure of some "lights in the night". Right?

On an artsy level it works OK, but the very first thing I thought when I saw it was "stock image of colorful rubber bands".

Sorry... had to be said.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information