Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Resubmit

Resubmit

I am resubmiting an image from earlier this week with a little work done. I am trying to learn to do a B&W convertion technique. This one is done with a technique described in a Scott Kelby book using the channel mixer. Am I anywhere close on this? Some times I think my 56 year olds eyes are closer to 86. This is done with a little different crop of an earlier photo form this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resubmit-tombstones-b-w.jpg  

56 or 86

you have the nicest baby blues here! ;)

it still needs a bit more oomph....kep going. All the values are still a bit close to each other... it needs lighter whites and darker blacks.

and thnaks ---this photo was the inspiration for my trip to the cemetery( I posted in the new gallery)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thanks Natalie

Thanks Natalie. I thought that may be the case, but when I raised the values it seemed I lost detail and I backed it back down. I just need to keep working these old baby blue's till I get it right.

OT,

I missed your original post, so can't comment with respect to that. But, I agree with Nat that the contrast isn't quite strong enough. More "oomph" is needed.

However, I think this photo has a lot going for it in general. I like the actual shot - it's a great angle and wonderful subject. And - this may sound weird - but I really like the aspect ratio of the picture. It is perfect for this shot. In other words, great job cropping!

Please repost if you are able to make it more contrasty!

-Stew

Is This any better???

[Please repost if you are able to make it more contrasty!

-Stew[/QUOTE]

Don't know if I bettered myself or not? You tell me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resubmit-tombstones-b-w-2.jpg  

Sorry, but that's way too much Old Timer. Avoid to lose details in the whites and blacks.
    Do you have photoshop? Go to levels and move the black slider to the point indicated in my example, that should be enough. Try to use the information available in Photoshop as much as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry don't mean to beat a dead horse...

Quote Originally Posted by David_M
    Sorry, but that's way too much Old Timer. Avoid to lose details in the whites and blacks.
    Do you have photoshop? Go to levels and move the black slider to the point indicated in my example, that should be enough. Try to use the information available in Photoshop as much as possible.

Sorry don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I really am trying to learn this. Tried the conversion using greyscale and the levels on this one. Any better?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resubmit-tombstone3.jpg  

It's hurricane season... again...
    I really do like this one better, but maybe just a touch darker... I see what you meant about losing the detail. I usually use the grayscale feature as well; it's easy enough and seems to do the job. In any case, it's a great photo!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Oldie,

Think of it as if you're printing from a negative, You selectively show or hide as much detail as YOU choose. Having said that, start with what the others suggested. Move the levels points so there are no gaps at the beginning or end. And that will be the start for adjusting it to your liking.

I suggest you use Adobe Gamma to adjust the brightness settings on your display. It might be just that the monitor isn't displayng your changes accurately.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

much improved

it has life to it now... no pun intended. HA!

Everyone has given some good advice and I think once you nail this one other conversion and adjustments will be a breeze. this was a tough shot but you are doing great...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    but I really am trying to learn this.
    ...and you are learning Old Timer, because that last one is perfect, I wouldn't change anything, except for some slight sharpening (avoid the halos), which somehow also increases the contrast without losing the details in the dark/light areas. Well done master, great shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    I suggest you use Adobe Gamma to adjust the brightness settings on your display. It might be just that the monitor isn't displayng your changes accurately.
    Good suggestion Sebastian ;)

OldTimer,
    This is a great composition. I always use the channel mixer when doing a b&W conversion and find that the more contrast you give to it the more detail you may lose. But there are little ways to squeeze the most from what you start with as others have given you good pointers here. The last post you have placed is right on the money. You will have the knack for doing this . I just have to tell you again that this image is nothing short of great. Keep up the good work.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Many thanks to all

Many thanks to all of you guys. This is the reason I started lurking here at PR over two years ago, a great place to learn. I appreciate your patience and understanding for an old dog trying to learn new tricks. Your advice and help is so important to me and for so many others out there that may not have responded to this, or other post, but like I did for so long just hang around to learn and enjoy great photos from good people. I truely feel like I have a home, and extended family here at PR. Now just keep supplying me with my daily fix of great images to drool over.

Larry,
    "OT", Old Timer

OT,

I think you've nailed it, as well! Good job!!

-Stew

Thread Information