Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    It's hurricane season... again...

Question My next assignment

Actually, this is for our final project in my photo class. We are supposed to take a photo of something that we feel needs to be improved in our community. I took this photo and feel strongly about the message that I'm trying to convey, but I'm not sure if this pulls it off. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My next assignment-img018.jpg  
    Last edited by kkraczek; 04-03-2004 at 11:10 AM.

I take it your message / what you feel strongly about is to curb the practice of urban sprawl and over-developing wild lands for short-term profit? If so, I think you'd do much better to find an actual site that is under construction (lot's of dirt and downed trees everywhere), and try compose a "Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide" type thing.

Maybe position yourself above the lot somehow, to show the destruction of the wild lands on half the frame (or approximate), and show what the land looked like undisturbed with the other half. If you were able to use Photoshop I would say take two really well composed shots of two "prime example sites" and meld them together, but that's not the case I assume (since you had to use film last time).

Anyway, I would show the actual thing that causes you some distress, not the precursor (in this case a sold sign).

;)
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    I take it your message / what you feel strongly about is to curb the practice of urban sprawl and over-developing wild lands for short-term profit? If so, I think you'd do much better to find an actual site that is under construction (lot's of dirt and downed trees everywhere), and try compose a "Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide" type thing.

Maybe position yourself above the lot somehow, to show the destruction of the wild lands on half the frame (or approximate), and show what the land looked like undisturbed with the other half. If you were able to use Photoshop I would say take two really well composed shots of two "prime example sites" and meld them together, but that's not the case I assume (since you had to use film last time).

Anyway, I would show the actual thing that causes you some distress, not the precursor (in this case a sold sign).

;)

Thanks Puck! That's exactly the help I was looking for. I knew something was missing from this photo, but I couldn't figure out how to convey my message in a more creative way. I love the half/half thing. That's great! Thanks again...

You know me... I aim ta please. Good luck with the assignment; let us know how it goes.

;)
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

You know me... I aim ta please. Good luck with the assignment; let us know how it goes.

;)

I just got back from dropping off a roll of film... hopefully one or two will come out.
    It's really unfortunate that around here, you don't have to go very far to find someone mowing down the trees for the sake of the almighty dollar. I found a place that has downed all the trees, but hasn't yet cleared them, so there are piles of trees everywhere. Should work, I hope! Thanks again, I will post the results in an hour or two!

;)
    O.K., I'm still not sure if this is a keeper or not, but I think I'm getting closer. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My next assignment-classproject.jpg  
    Last edited by kkraczek; 04-04-2004 at 06:48 PM.

Much better...

The sky is a little blown out, but this second picture is much more in line with what I was getting at; you're showing the actual problem. If you've got time, keep shooting. Maybe find one with trees and construction / digging under way. All sorts of possibilities.

You could even make the shot you end up choosing a B&W. Might have an even more powerful effect, if it's got enough of a tonal range in it. Keep at it.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

The sky is a little blown out, but this second picture is much more in line with what I was getting at; you're showing the actual problem. If you've got time, keep shooting. Maybe find one with trees and construction / digging under way. All sorts of possibilities.

You could even make the shot you end up choosing a B&W. Might have an even more powerful effect, if it's got enough of a tonal range in it. Keep at it.
    Hey, I couldn't come up with any better sites, but I did go back this morning with my new wide angle lens. Even though the color is better, I don't think it has as much of an impact... the tracks from the trucks don't show up as well. I also tried some different angles to include the working trucks and such, but nothing quite did it for me like the second one. So, I'll probably use it... my teacher usually discourages the use of sky anyway, so she probably won't care if it's blown out. Thanks again, you've been a great help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My next assignment-destruction2.jpg  

No problem. The second version is certainly a better exposure (color and tonality-wise), but the first is a better composition overall, as you've already noted. More impact.

[snip]... alternately, you could try to mimmick the first composition a bit more by cropping in...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My next assignment-destruction2.jpg  
    Last edited by PuckJunkey; 04-06-2004 at 10:41 AM.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information