Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Finally winter

Finally winter

It really looks and (mostly) feels like winter here now which is a relief. I just got a K-5 which is a weather sealed body and it gives me a little more confidence to shoot in harsh conditions, even though I do not have any sealed lenses yet. I just put on my little DA 40mm pancake which has the least surface area for stuff to get in and get out there in the elements.

Here's one from the Mill Creek Valley which hosts some of our local XC trails. I went for a ski last night and wound up skiing home in the dark trying to get some sunset light breaking through illuminating the spectacular cliffs in the area. I didn't get that broken light, but I did come away with some images I like.

IMGP0590.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

GB1

Re: Finally winter

Matt - This one works for me. I like the soft tonal values. I would definitely clone out that foreground right side tree, as it doesn't add anything and disturbs the clean white snow. Another thing that hurts it is the lack of a clear subject. The two trees in the middle group are probably it, but having two of them instead of one makes neither stand out too well. Alas, it's a nice soft image.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I would like to see a shot from the same area with the broken light you were after. That would bring out those rugged mountains.

Matt,

This is a really fun shot. However, the image lacks a strong foreground to lead the viewers' eyes from the white snow to the trees, and then the cloudy mountains in the background.

I like the feel the colors, and composition - with one minor suggestion. I would crop some of the snow on the bottom off, and would clone out the little dry branch....otherwise ...nice

look nice, the snow is a filter !!! ;)

Excellent shot. The small tree in the foreground breaks up the space some. The lower left of the composition seems empty, even vacuous. It sort of creates a void in an otherwise richly textured scene.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

The dry branch at lower right stops me short of saying crop up, though I do agree with Charlie about the lower left. Maybe the branch should be cloned out as Ilewpics suggested. I'd like to see an edit with those modifications.

Regardless, it's a beautiful shot. I love muted color palette. The tones make it for me.

Hey thanks so much for all the feedback everyone! How about this?

IMGP0590-Edit.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

This one works better for me ...a wee bit of contrast may help as well ...

Eek, I hate winter, but I love this photo! I like how far in the distance you can see.

Thread Information