Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Reflections again and depth of field

I have found that getting a picture with a great DOF is quite a challenge and I hope that this one of the dam was successfull.The reflection is of the same tree from a different angle.Comments please
    Piet.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I think these are nice, particularly the bottom two.

Why are you having trouble with DOF? What lenses are you using? Basically the smaller lens opening the more DOF you get. Also the shorter the focal length the more DOF you get. So for example on a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera at say f11 you should have objects in focus from about 6 feet to infinity. With a 100 lens at f 2.8 you might only have objects in focus from about 6 to 6 1/2 feet. On older lenses there is a DOF scale on the lens so you can set the focus to have what you want in focus. Sometimes you don't want certain objects to be in focus.

Hi Piet,

I like the second and third shots best. The first image has too much information and I’m not sure what to focus on, so my eye wonders around the image without resting anywhere. I think your second image is the strongest of the three. I like the colors and textures you’ve captured. I wonder if cropping just above the treetop, giving some space between the tree and sky but eliminating the blue sky entirely, would add to the composition and overall feel of the image. Currently it has too much sky and the light blue pulls my eye out of the picture. Also it looks like your horizon line leans a little. Composition on images 2 and 3 are good but I think 2 is stronger. The bird also helps pull things together. Good job.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Piet
    I have found that getting a picture with a great DOF is quite a challenge and I hope that this one of the dam was successfull.The reflection is of the same tree from a different angle.Comments please
    Piet.
    Great reflections here. How peaceful. The only nitpicking I might do is crop the plain blue out of the sky in the second shot.

With regard to DOF - are you already aware of hyperfocal distance?
    http://www.vividlight.com/articles/3513.htm

Nice work, especially 2 & 3 like others have mentioned. Sometimes reflection shots work well with the shoreline right in the center, then the shot is completely symmetrical.

I see a couple of things I don't like with the first shot. The quality of light is contrasty, later in the day or earlier in the morning should help here. Also, the tree branches framing the shot don't do enough, IMO. They should either be a bigger part of the composition or eliminated. Also, the bird is too small to add anything. Looks great in the other shot, but too small here.

Yes, both 2and 3 are very nice, almost look like watercxolor paintings. The first one I like but I think the branches on the right side are disruptive to the quiet scene. What is your problem with dof.? In case your not, use a tripod for these landscapes at all times, will only help to keep a sharp edge a s possible.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thank you all for comments.In all the shots the birds were not planned, however they helped.I will use a tripod next time and plan the shot as suggested.
    Piet

These all have merit but I like the second one a lot. The only thing I might change is to crop a little bit more sky off to add to the symmetry.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information