Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    GB1

RED (Warning - Implied Nudity)

From a shoot over the weekend.

Which crop do you prefer?

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RED  (Warning - Implied Nudity)-dsc_4809_2.jpg   RED  (Warning - Implied Nudity)-dsc_4809_1.jpg   RED  (Warning - Implied Nudity)-dsc_4809_0.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: RED (Warning - Implied Nudity)

last one. I really like the picture and IMO the last one looks best.
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

I don't know. I like the ones without the elbows myself. It is a great shot, but I think the arms and the positioning in the last one detract a bit.

GB1

I kind of feel the same as you, Daq. The perspective on the full frame image makes her arms look too big and weak here. My favorite is the cropped one w/ hands, but I wish she had her glasses on pushed up on the top, as it seems she's adjusting them (she did have glasses, but we removed them for this shot).

Thanks too Marco, but how do you comment on the above? I guess the arms are OK by you.

G

My Site

I really like the second crop with her hands. I think that the angle of her arms in the full crop is off.

Glasses might help, but not strictly necessary. If you need to do a full arm shot, have her hold them much more to the side to emphasize the musculature. The foreshortening in this shot isn't working.

...like I am criticizing a great shot and a gorgeous model....

NSSA/AIPS

I'm thinking the second one, but pushed slightly wider to her shoulders. Try to get as much of her hair in the frame as possible since to me it's her dominant feature. I agree that full crop would work better with her arms opened wider. Nice catch light in the eyes.
    It's not about the camera....

I like the top left...her arms and hands look unnatural. Not a problem at all for me to have the top of her head cut off..I like it a lot.. Great shot

lol. I didn't notice the arms. With that pointed out. I can see why you would like the cropped picture.
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

GB1

Thanks guys. I tried some more crops and I just can't get past the foreshortening issue with her biceps. I guess image # 2 is the best it can get. Or maybe # 1 to emphasize her eyes. Thanks for the great feedback.

G

My Site

1st one I don't like her being decapitated.
    2nd hands look unnatural.
    3rd biceps a problem

To me they all need to be cropped some off the bottom. To me her hair and face are the strong points and the rest detract from the photo.

In my statements it may already be obvious, but I don't know anything about this type of photography but it does say it is OK to edit and re post your pictures so what do you think about this? Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RED  (Warning - Implied Nudity)-dsc_4809_1.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Grandpaw,
    I think you shouldn't edit other people's pictures and repost them without their permission and when you do make sure that you remove them from your gallery because they automatically become your property in your gallery. Do you know where is the gallery?.
    Last edited by Asmarlak; 11-26-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmarlak
    Grandpaw,
    I think you shouldn't edit other people's pictures and repost them without their permission and when you do make sure that you remove them from your gallery because they automatically become your property in your gallery. Do you know where is the gallery?.
    Asmarlak, thank you for your knowledgeable input but if you would read Greg's post it plainly says "Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique", and that is exactly what I did. I also mentioned it in my post. As far as his picture in my gallery, Yes I do know where the gallery is and I regularly check it in case I forget to uncheck the "post in gallery" option, so I would have caught it shortly anyway. I did go back and look at all 458 pictures in my gallery (ALL OF WHICH WERE MINE EXCEPT THE LAST ONE) and the last one was greg's and I deleted it. I'm sorry for committing such a blatant act.

Just for the record I have been here since Feb 2004 and have never posted another member's picture without asking first or having it stated in their post that it was OK to do so, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm sorry that you obviously misunderstood my comment. I just find it unfair to the people in the gallery that they have to bother with everything posted in the forum and not the other way around. I think in some cases the gallery became a dumping ground for the forum posters without them even knowing it. I think many forum frequents don't go to the gallery although their pictures that intended for the forum get traffic and comments and they don't even bother to follow up or read them.
    I realize that they're trying to increase the number of photos posted in the gallery since it is very low (sometimes less than ten/day). I happen to find the forum to be very different from the gallery therefore their posts shouldn't mix. The forum is for such a picture that you posted above and discussions around it or posting several tryouts and ask which is better to use. while the gallery is for posting what you believe is your best work.
    Last edited by Asmarlak; 11-26-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmarlak
    I'm sorry that you obviously misunderstood my comment.
    If I may jump in, I think you should have posted this message somewhere else if you want it acted on. Sending the message to PhotoJohn may help, too.

GB1 does say in his signature:

You missed it. You should have apologized to Grandpaw IMO at least for that. Instead, you said he misunderstood you?! Wow ! C'mon man.

You missed it. You should have apologized to Grandpaw IMO at least for that. Instead, you said he misunderstood you?! Wow ! C'mon man

+1

hahahahah.

Hijacking Greg's thread is not the thing to do and we need to get the discussion back on track. This is a forum for critiquing photos not arguing, Jeff

GB1

Well fellows, I appreciate the critiques. Like it's been mentioned, I don't have any problem with people editing and reposting my images -- it's stated in my signature. Asmarlak obviously missed that when he replied to Grandpaw.

Jeff, I like your edit in general. It seems that she has strong points and I was trying to incorporate them in one shot. I was trying to keep in her smooth skin. But the image also have weaknesses too, the biggest I see being her biceps and perhaps overly prominent forehead (a friend suggested that I PS in some horns :crazy I learned something here: to look at the foreshortened areas before I fire to see if they 'look right.' The biggest handicap I'm finding in model photography is that if you ask the model to hold a pose too long and adjust it here and there, it may inject tension and she can lose her rhythm. STILL trying to find the right sweet spot when it comes to that (I need to figure it out fast).

GB

My Site

I don't think the lighting or the background work at all on this image. I'd like to see a clean white or a black background with some definite lighting patterns and a good 3:1 contrasty light ratio. Sorry, but this doesn't work for me.

Mark

GB1

Something like this, Marc?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RED  (Warning - Implied Nudity)-red-1_pp.jpg  

My Site

Thread Information