Red Awnings

Printable View

• 09-21-2004, 11:34 PM
    Clicker
    1 Attachment(s)
    Red Awnings
    Any thoughts / critiques, anything, is welcome....

From capture, to Post, let me know!

Thanks,
  • 09-22-2004, 02:58 AM
    >JJ<
    That doesn't look real...........?

Is it a 3d model?, like 3ds Max or something? The sky certainly doesn't look real.
  • 09-22-2004, 05:04 AM
    Chunk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Clicker

Thanks,

Nice work, Rachel.
    I like the basic setup and the rythm of the repeating forms. I wish the bar at the top of the fence didn't cover the lower edge of the awnings. I think a shot without the fence would also be good.
  • 09-22-2004, 06:39 AM
    Old Timer
    Very nice..
    Quote:

Thanks,

Very nice repeatitive images. I like a lot about this image. The flow of lines up and out of the the frame is nice. The main nit pik that I would have with this photograph is that the colors don't pop the way I would like to see them. To me the red just begs to jump out at you but the image on my monitor seem a little muddy with out the white whites that I would prefer. Very nice eye for compostion and a keeper just the same.
  • 09-22-2004, 10:49 AM
    Clicker
    It's real, I promise!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by >JJ<
    That doesn't look real...........?

Is it a 3d model?, like 3ds Max or something? The sky certainly doesn't look real.

JJ, thanks for looking in!

No its no 3-d model! whats 3ds Max? :)

the sky was blue ( i used a polarizer) but i much preferred this digitally remastered ( well, i can't say **Mastered** maybe Digitally Apprenticed)

I think it makes the red >pop< more, and become the focus.......which takes me to Old Timers comment.....I will see what I can do about making the Reds a little brighter, The "muddiness" you see, do you think that could be because the buildings aren't actually white ( just in case you were looking for white there...) They are a type of Steel, so they are very light silver... But I'm still new to this "adjusting colors" thing.. so it could be the colors are off... I will check into it...

Chunk: I know EXACTLY what you mean! that fence looks so short from the road ! then you get up there and its like 6 1/2 feet tall! I was standing on my camera case to get this one - and my friend called and asked what I was doing, I told her, and then she laughed and said I should of taken a step stool out with me... she was being sarcastic, but just between you and me, After your critique, I think ** I WILL **

Thanks to all for your honest comments!
  • 09-22-2004, 11:18 AM
    Chunk
    Quote:

JJ, thanks for looking in!

No its no 3-d model! whats 3ds Max? :)

the sky was blue ( i used a polarizer) but i much preferred this digitally remastered ( well, i can't say **Mastered** maybe Digitally Apprenticed)

I think it makes the red >pop< more, and become the focus.......which takes me to Old Timers comment.....I will see what I can do about making the Reds a little brighter, The "muddiness" you see, do you think that could be because the buildings aren't actually white ( just in case you were looking for white there...) They are a type of Steel, so they are very light silver... But I'm still new to this "adjusting colors" thing.. so it could be the colors are off... I will check into it...

Chunk: I know EXACTLY what you mean! that fence looks so short from the road ! then you get up there and its like 6 1/2 feet tall! I was standing on my camera case to get this one - and my friend called and asked what I was doing, I told her, and then she laughed and said I should of taken a step stool out with me... she was being sarcastic, but just between you and me, After your critique, I think ** I WILL **

Thanks to all for your honest comments!

With chainlink fence it can be worth getting right up against the fence and lining your lens up with an opening between the wires. The out of focus fence can be nearly invisible. Worth a try, anyway. Then there's always the pogo stick and work on your timing. :D
  • 09-22-2004, 11:29 AM
    Clicker
    ROFLMA OFF ! funny, because its TRUE!

i will have to check my negatives, because i actually did what you suggested... ( let me clarify, NOT the pogo stick thing, but the sticking my lens through the fence thing... :) I will check my negatives and see how that one came out.. This one just shouted "pick me!!! " last night. Thanks for Reminding me!!

-now where's my pogo stick---
  • 09-22-2004, 06:05 PM
    shesells
    rachel
    I just saw this thread. I like the photo just as it is. It kind of reminds me of pics of old army barracks with the fence up. I don't know why but I like barbed wire. I think it adds something and makes you wonder what goes on behind it. I don't think the shot would be as good without it. The sky is a bit splotchy, but I just love that white cloud in the middle.
    Kit
  • 09-22-2004, 06:12 PM
    Clicker
    I noticed the splotchiness too... on the right side, right?

Army barracks, funny, i thought "prison" but your take on it makes more sense.. why would they give prisoners pretty red awnings?

thanks!
  • 09-22-2004, 06:51 PM
    Clicker
    1 Attachment(s)
    Reposted:
    Okay, I looked for the shot I took through the links, don't have it.. This is the only shot I had of this building, Image # 24 out of a roll of 24, so the others are still in my camera...

But i went ahead and worked on the splotchiness in the sky and the muddiness of my whites...

here's what I got.

not perfect, but its what i got.
  • 09-22-2004, 07:11 PM
    ckozo
    the revised version may be a 'better' photo, but it looks too 'clean' and as a result IMHO has lost some of the uneasy feeling and dark emotion that the original photo post had.

yep, there's no pleasing everyone!!
  • 09-22-2004, 07:11 PM
    shesells
    Rachel
    Quote:

Okay, I looked for the shot I took through the links, don't have it.. This is the only shot I had of this building, Image # 24 out of a roll of 24, so the others are still in my camera...

But i went ahead and worked on the splotchiness in the sky and the muddiness of my whites...

here's what I got.

not perfect, but its what i got.

The sky is still splotchy. Use that method I told you about. Select the color in the sky that isnt blue. Make your forground color the blue that is already present in the sky. then use the color replacement tool to fill in the selected area. Or choose the blue in the sky and the blotchy color when selecting color with the eye dropper. Then just fill, the whole thing should be the same then. Let me know if it works when you get around to it. It will.
    Kit
  • 09-22-2004, 08:37 PM
    Clicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shesells
    The sky is still splotchy. Use that method I told you about. Select the color in the sky that isnt blue. Make your forground color the blue that is already present in the sky. then use the color replacement tool to fill in the selected area. Or choose the blue in the sky and the blotchy color when selecting color with the eye dropper. Then just fill, the whole thing should be the same then. Let me know if it works when you get around to it. It will.
    Kit

I've convinced myself that Texas just has splotchy skies, That's what we are known for ! :)

just kidding, I will give it a try...

THanks!
  • 09-22-2004, 08:37 PM
    Clicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ckozo
    the revised version may be a 'better' photo, but it looks too 'clean' and as a result IMHO has lost some of the uneasy feeling and dark emotion that the original photo post had.

yep, there's no pleasing everyone!!

You are right, its lost that "prison" feel.