Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

ready ? 1, 2, 3, jump!

This is a group that plays jazz music,
    I got invited to shoot them and we had some time before they started playing
    I did some individual shots for each member and then group shots, tried for something fun and came out with this.

My photos left me feeling they could be better, but they loved them - probably only seen iphone shots of them selves in FB

I did shoot them playing but the light was complicated, dim and red, the place was then full and my 50 f1.8 was to long, switched to the 24-85 and had to use high ISO and low speed , not the best combination for shooting people moving

Anyway, what do you think of the above shot ?

Re: ready ? 1, 2, 3, jump!

It's an excellent shot. My first though after reading your text was that it would be even better if they were holding their instruments, if possible. Or maybe have a bass propped in the corner, a piano showing, etc. -- something to give more musical context.

It's a good catch to get four of the five faces so well, but the woman in red is obscured. I'm not sure you could use it for promotional purposes without her -- could her face be photoshopped in from another photo in the sequence.

DMG

Very cool photo! I like the angle you shot it in and I love how excited they all are. I agree with the comment about the lady in red though. Awesome capture.

thanks,
    the girl in red was hard to shoot , even alone and seating

Like it a lot Armando, great facial expressions and energy in the shot, also the low angle emphasises the jump height. Guess you got to be real lucky to get every detail nailed on this sort of shot, so I would be quite pleased with this.
    If ever you were to try this again I would look at trying to catch the jumpers just before they started to descend so the hair isn't flying around and their dresses haven't puffed up ( easier to say than do though .... )
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

GB1

Armando - Excellent idea (!), and enjoyable picture I agree w/ the issues Lava pointed out. I am also not really sold on the room; I think it might be better if you shot it in a place they practice, a stage, or ? The floor tilting like that, hmm, not sure... but it seems a bit plain regardless. The good news is that it is solid and provided a great jumping platform. Keep working on that woman in red, she's shy and is trying to hide from the camera, but you'll get her

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks Pete and Greg

I shot them playing , but light was dreadful

50mm f1.8 focus on the singer
    drummer had not arrived

and here is one of the keyboard player , flash bounced of the wall

GB1

The top one is very good imo. It shows a lot of different emotions, left-to-right, from observation, happiness, comtemplativeness, and concentration. The colors on the bottom one throw me a little, but have you tried cropping out the top half and just showing the hands on the keyboard?
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

great suggestion Greg, I'll give it a try

I could not find one image where the focus is on the hands, this guy had the head in middle of his torso ;) so every shot looks kind of bad when cropped to show just the hands

Thread Information