Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

A rat's perspective of a hallway

I took this with a Sony Cybershot point and shoot digicam in 2002 while on vacation in Asheville, NC. It is a hallway of a wine cellar on the Biltmore Estates. No, I did not see any rats. I just thought it would grab your attention. I did not do any post processing on this image. It could probably use a little USM. Anyway, the camera was mounted on a table top tripod and set on the ground along the wall. Self-timer was used so I didn't bump the camera.

Pro Newb

Re: A rat's perspective of a hallway

i like this shot, i always like the patterns on the wall that sequentially place lights create. technically fine but a little boring in subject (if you dont mind my saying so)
    come visit us at the f stop
    its full of pro photographers, and has a small user base (no losers ;) ) please come visit and join to help us on our journey

Catchy title!

I almost want it to lead me to the right rather than the left...it sort of stops dead center for me on the red glow. But over all I like the perspective, textures and even the little crumblings on the floor...nice touch.
    Ruh roh...Where am I?

Thanks for the comments. I agree, it is boring subject matter. I was sort of goofing around when I took this one. However, there is just something about it that I like. For me, I keep wondering what is around the corner to the left. We were on a guided tour, so I didn't get a chance to find out. I was just trying something different.

I love the perspective and depth in this shot as well as all the interesting patterns. I think it would be a little stronger with the vanishing point further away from the center of the frame - maybe like this. I think I would also clone out the red glow (exit light?) on that arch as that keeps grabbing the eye.

Nice work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very interesting perspective image. I like a lot of the elements in the photograph the patterns of light on the wall and the over head bulbs (ashame about the one red one) and the endless stones in the wall. I would have prefered to see the endless hallway extend up and way a little more leading my eye out of the photograph more and that stool or chair bothers me. All and all though a fine photorgraph of a rather mundane subject. On another note it's great to see another photographer from Kentucky posting. I haven't been on the critique board for a few weeks, I've kind of restricted my posting to Viewfinder. Hope you keep on posting and contributing to PR. I think you will find the crowd here very helpful and encouraging. Nice to have you contributing. I took a look at your holiday card images, very nice work.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I think everyone else has already said what I was thinking... I love the light pattern on the wall! I think it's great that you uses a dif. perspective for this shot and it's something that I need to keep in mind when I'm out shooting. It's a very simple element to a photo that can add a world of differance. Nice job!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks to all for the critique. That's part of the joy of photography. Regardless of what ype of image you make, someone will like it. I agree with Old Timer about the stool. My PS techniques are not refined yet. I'm still learning the product. I can do basic clone, levels, and color corrections, but not much else. Thanks for the kind words about my holiday card images. I received alot of compliments from family members on those. I have learned alot her, but I am looking forward to learning more.

funny, cuz I never noticed the red glow, and I think the stool adds a bit of interest to an otherwise long, empty hallway. I love the creamy-ness of the color, it's very warm and soft. LOVE the perspective, and the crumblings on the floor are just perfect. And I like the visual effect of the "diagonal line" splitting the picture in "half" (dark and heavy top left, light and creamy bottom right), with the wall on the right dividing the "bottom half" into two parts, itself. Does that make sense? Anyway, good perspective.

And great title!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

It is a nice shot, it would make a good B&W hot too!!

I like the texture in the stones and the repetitive pattern of the lights.

Thread Information