Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Detroit

Detroit

Re: Detroit

Tuna, I really like this. I like how the movement of the reeds/grass is opposite how stationary the sign looks. I like the repeating rectangles of the signs and building..

Emily

The swaying reeds and the man in the billboard are both directing us over to the right of the frame, which appears to be where the city street and action is. As if their drawn to the energy from it. great dark and light tones as well.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Love the textures, tones and repeating shapes. It has that timeless Tuna signature all over it, if not for the Isaac billboard, I could never guess the era from which this came. Nice work as usual!

Tuna----everyone else said it better than I. I'm just here to let you know I saw it, and I like it.
    John

Tuna

The composition is excellent and so are the tones.

I don't get the title - probably because I'm a Brit. but its very American, but then it could be Germany

Roger

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Nice cityscape! I love the action of the wind and the way it works with the picture on the billboard. Is this IN the city or down-river? (Don't know why, but it has a down-river feel to me... I grew up outside of Flint and used to live in Canton before moving to Illinois )

BTW, I noticed the flag at half staff, do you recall who it was honoring? Just a tidbit that I found interesting...

Seb

Tuna, there is such a strong graphic quality to your picture. You are turning the very mudane into something quite fascinating.

Seb

Thank you for your kind comments about this image.

Quote Originally Posted by mpreslar
    Nice cityscape! I love the action of the wind and the way it works with the picture on the billboard. Is this IN the city or down-river? (Don't know why, but it has a down-river feel to me... I grew up outside of Flint and used to live in Canton before moving to Illinois )

BTW, I noticed the flag at half staff, do you recall who it was honoring? Just a tidbit that I found interesting...
    This was taken last week while working in the area. On Middlebelt, between Goddard and Northline - across the street from the airport grounds, just southwest of Dearborn Heights. Would that be considered "down-river"? And I kept noticing the flags at half-mast in other areas as well - not sure why. Maybe someone else can provide the answer...

Tuna

That photo makes me want to scan more of my B&W negatives from Okinowa (spelling??), form the 1970's. I do like the composition.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna
    This was taken last week while working in the area. On Middlebelt, between Goddard and Northline - across the street from the airport grounds, just southwest of Dearborn Heights. Would that be considered "down-river"? And I kept noticing the flags at half-mast in other areas as well - not sure why. Maybe someone else can provide the answer...

Tuna
    Yes, that is very much down-river! The suburbs that are south-west of the City are referred to as down-river by the locals. The airport is kind of like the heart of the down-river area. It is all very much blue-collar, as opposed to the north suburbs or the near north-side where you have places like Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, and "the Grosses" (Grosse Point, Grosse Point Farms, etc...) Those suburbs are, in general, more white collar and don't really look like ths picture.

Good to know that after 15 years, I still have a sense for the lay of the land in my old stomping grounds!
    Marty in Central Illinois - The Land of Corn and Flatness!

Thread Information