• 05-26-2004, 09:01 AM
    stew
    1 Attachment(s)
    a prison - i mean, a school.
    This was taken as I was standing on the sidewalk, looking down into the basement window of a local grade school, at night. Over the window, a wire grate was bolted for security reasons. Handheld at 1/5s.

For me, this photo captures the bleakness and darkness of what I felt when I first looked inside. But I'm not sure if it really has something to capture the viewer. Any and all suggestions for improvement are welcomed!

Thanks, Stew
  • 05-26-2004, 10:05 AM
    natatbeach
    I think this shot is very representative of the feeling you got right when school was going to start up again at the end of the summer....where you really felt like you were going back inro prison...I wish I had something to say for improvements sake but this is one of those shots that I simply like as is. I like the fact I can telll it was shot thru a grate of sorts---it adds to that repressed feelingf and I like the soft subtle(dreary too) lighting that you captured. well done-
  • 05-26-2004, 10:34 AM
    Old Timer
    Well done Stew
    Well done Stew. Very impressive for 1/5 handhold, must have had something to brace yourself against. I really like the quality of the light and mood that it sets. You accomplished your goal from that standpoint. The out of focus grating gives the image a very eerie feeling. Now for suggestions two things come to mind first the upper darker portion of the frame seems to serve very little porpose to the composition, if there was a little more detail in that shadow area it would help. I would prefere to see that area cropped a little tighter as the photograph currently is presented. And the other thing is out of your control but to me the objects in the image do not neccesarily suggest school. They could just as easily be in an office or business of some type. This doesn't detract form the image but does somewhat from your stated theme. All in all a very nice image and one to be proud of.
  • 05-26-2004, 01:30 PM
    PuckJunkey
    Really Eerie...
    ...any minute now I expect Ms. Crabapple to pop up in front of the window, teeth bared, hair snarled... a true horror for any child about to embark on summer vacation!

:D

That alone should tell you you've really captured the mood of this place and of course played upon our old memories of such places... the lighting is fantastic. Really creates some deep textures but still enough there to get little details like the sink and scratches on the desks, etc.

Great shot.
  • 05-26-2004, 09:25 PM
    Yoyo Szeto
    Hi,
    I like this shot. It is very moody. Also, the tone is great. Did you use a duotone?
    yoyo
  • 05-27-2004, 07:26 AM
    stew
    responses
    Nat - Thanks for your nice words! I have always been very impacted by the austerity of the city, including the schools located here. I have mostly grown up in rural areas, and so I can't imagine being educated in such a place... I wish the kids growing up in the city didn't have to be educated there, either.

OT - I think my hand was particularly steady that night :) And thanks for your positive comments. As for cropping / lightness of the photo, I have taken your suggestion and worked on it. I will attach this new version (which is slightly different than this original) in a few minutes. I actually like the new idea a little better, I think, even though I feel like some of the highlights may be a bit blown out. As for the articles in the room, I agree that they don't quite feel like a school - they're too cold, sterile. But that actually has lent to the mood, IMO.

PJ - Thanks!

Yoyo - Thank you. This is the original colors, without any processing except adjusting the levels a little bit. Crazy color, eh? :)

Cheers, Stew
  • 05-27-2004, 07:31 AM
    stew
    1 Attachment(s)
    new version
    New version - cropped, with slight lightening using PS, but not too much since I didn't want to blow out the highlights....

-Stew
  • 05-27-2004, 08:49 AM
    Old Timer
    Stronger...
    For my money this is a stronger image. You do have a great eye. I always seem to like what you produce.
  • 05-27-2004, 09:01 AM
    gahspidy
    Stew,
    I would agree with most of what was already stated. A very good image. The lighting is moody and you captured it nicely. What I also like is the way one can easily tell that the blurryness in front of the shot is a grating because of it's criss-cross shadows and makes it ok for it to be there . Gives the feeling of this moody scene as being "locked away" for the season.Good work