Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Pouring Can

The Pouring Can

Fuji Provia. What i like is the Can reflects the blue sky and the warm morning sun on the sand below.
    your thoughts . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Pouring Can-0405-0418x1web.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: The Pouring Can

Gary - there are very few mixed b&w/colour images I have seen that I like (not sure why, just a personal prejudice I suppose) but this is one of them. I love the texture of the sand, the shadows cast by the grass, and the more subtle colouring on the can itself. If I were going to change anything I might want the can just a little lower in the frame, but overall I think this is a very nice shot. Definitely my personal favourite of the can series!

Regards,

matt

learning member

Gary, I really dont feel adequate to critique you're photos. I'll just say wow, I don't know how , you just keep getting better! The only nit I am sure about is the sand on the base of the can. not so sure about the reed on right hihlight. Blemish over center reed.( in post).
    Absolutly love the pouring water and the color in it !
    Expletive Awsome!
    Mark.
    Last edited by mdmc; 04-20-2005 at 02:33 AM. Reason: typo

Love your can series ,this is one of your best photos . wonder if someone could point me to a tutorial on layers that is easy to understand sort of like a step by step ? Again great shot.

I agree that this is one of the strongest. The colors great but the water really catches my attention. It makes me want to know how it's getting in there or just what happened to tip the can. One of your other stronger shots was the one with snow in the lip of the drum.
    Now what else can be spilled from a can?
    ----------------------------

Gary, great addition to your series as always! My one critique would be the water seems a tad 'hidden'. Atleast on my monitor, it almost looks like a shadow on where the water had poured. Regardless, great shot and wonderful black and white tones!

I agree that the water looks a little 'hidden', but I love it all the same. The setting seems almost seems fake (which I enjoy), like a museum diorama.

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Fuji Provia. What i like is the Can reflects the blue sky and the warm morning sun on the sand below.
    your thoughts . . .
    I love this series! And the best part about it is that it just keeps getting better and better. Your other series kinda goes up and down for me but this one is like perfect!

Keep it up!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    your thoughts . . .
    Well Gary, I have been sounding like a broken reccord for a while but this is another gorgeous can shot. I truly enjoy that morning light you are reffering at and I think that the pouring water is an interesting creative addition to your cans concept.

Seb

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Gary, this is my favorite photo from this series so far. I say so far, because who knows what you will come up with next. The colors are great as many have already stated, but for me, the one thing that really draws me into this image is the DOF. For me, the out of focus plants on the right side of the image, lead me towards the back/middle of the photo and out into infininity adding a great sense of depth to this photo, and I love it. The pouring water adds a whole new perspective to the photo. It realy gives the can a sense of purpose. Great work!!! I wish I had your eye for composition.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Matt, Mark, Knight, Chunk, Jared, Blasto, Almo, Seb, Micheal. . . It's great to know that this series is getting well received as I try to keep it going without getting stale. I would like to have about 20 solid entries into this theme and I'm getting close to my goal. I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement as well as the points and critique brought up.
    Knight, I have not tried any tutorials as of yet so I cannot refer you to any specifically. But if you do a search on PS tutorials on google, there will be lots for you to look over. If there is anything in specific that you wish to do, your welcome to pm me with your question, and if I can help you I will ( I am certainly no expert in PS, but might be of some help to you)

gary

It is hard to capture a subject in the sun without it looking harsh yet here you managed to captured a warm lovely glow on the can. The can has a very natural look(the color is perfect) and I really dig the sand and bit of grass as part of the scenery. The water pouring out of the can adds even more dimension. I'm loving this series more and more as you continue to evolve in your work.
    ~Nina~

Gary, I like this shot a lot. It reminds me of being a child in summer. Just walking along, having the time to look at the ground and take in this kind of scene. Most adults would just think theres a can to kick and not take the time to see the beauty. It doesnt look contrived at all and looks like you just came upon it. I love the low level view and the reflection in the can. How did you manage to keep yours out of it?

You can tell its a well walked path because of all the heel marks in the sand.. and all that beauty just happening around them and everyone is oblivious to it. Except you!
    I like the way you work.
    Kit
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks Nina, yeah it's an effort to try to keep the sun from creating too harsh a lighting on a silver can like this I had to keep shifting around until any hotspots on the can were gone. Thanks for the kind words

Kit, yeah I agree with you that there is much beauty in the little things that seem to go unnoticed especially as we get older. Trying to keep my reflection out of it was a bit of a chore at the same time trying to keep the desired viewpoint and hotspots off the can. By the time I finally got it the way I wanted, I had to refill the can with some more water and this went on a few times until I had water from the can running down the sand under me. Glad you liked it, thanks for your thoughts

gary

Thread Information