Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

The Hillbilly Synthesizer

The hillbilly synthesizer, the electric table - pedal steel guitar. Shot this last night in a very dark bar. Exposure was about 1/60 at f1.4, ISO1600. I did set the white balance below the "correct" level to make the white light on the left turn a little blue. Still getting used to RAW conversions, comments appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Hillbilly Synthesizer-dscf1402.jpg  

Seb
    Hello Another View,

Your framing is truly interesting. I also like the fact that you achieved an analog like result on that picture. I assume that it comes from the high iso value that obviously brought some noise but I'll say that this is good looking noise. It fit the situation pretty well.

At f/1.4 you must have used a prime. Was it a 50mm or a wide angle?

Regards

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hello Another View,

Your framing is truly interesting. I also like the fact that you achieved an analog like result on that picture. I assume that it comes from the high iso value that obviously brought some noise but I'll say that this is good looking noise. It fit the situation pretty well.

At f/1.4 you must have used a prime. Was it a 50mm or a wide angle?

Regards

Seb
    Thanks - I have a Fuji S2 which handles high ISO's pretty well. There is some noise here, but it's not too bad IMO - much better than my Coolpix at ISO400 anyway. And it is exactly that - high ISO = more noise. Just like film, higher ISO = more grain. This was taken with a 50 f1.4 at a distance of about 2' (very small place!). Even 2.8 lenses would be pretty useless here although I took some shots I don't like as much with a 20 f2.8. Hoping for a 20 (or so) f1.4 DX lens from Nikon some day...

Thread Information