Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Seb

Food photography

Here is something totally new to me. I am not especially interested by it but I figured out that it would be beneficial to step out of my comfort zone and try new things.

I have previously made few attemps in the past with different "subjects" but the results always annoyed me. I am thinking that this one came out decent.

Any thought/suggestion???

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Re: Food photography

Well I am not 100% sure what I am looking at on the left hand side of the image but I am pretty sure it doesn't matter! Beautifully composed, I really like the colours you have captured and the circular patterns in this image!

Thanks!
    Herriot

I like the orange juice glass being cut off on the right side, but I'm not sure I like the cupcakes cut off on the left. I think I wish there was a clean break over there, without the feeling that there's more going on that I'm not seeing.

I like the colors very much, and it's got good DOF. It looks scrumptious! You've captured the attractiveness of the food well.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Hi Seb,

That is a nice attempt with the attractive colors and yummy subject. But, I'd give it another go with rearranging the scene. What's missing for me is the strong subject that first draws my eyes.

One thing that I've read about doing still-lifes is to start very simple with just the main subject. Shoot it, and slowly add elements that complement. I'm sure there are other good approaches too.

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

I think this is a pleasing shot, your framing looks good to me and the comp is fine. The one thing that bothers me is the lack of detail in the front cupcake. That is the subject that you focused on, and the front shadow area has no detail, leaving me feeling like the main subject is incomplete, somehow. Good image, but lighting up the front area of the cupcake would have helped alot , I feel. But, still a pleasing image and good effort.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Senile Member

It looks damn good, I like the subject and composition (including half the OJ glass). I'd show a bit more of the doilly up front though and let the pattern be the foreground, the tablecloth subtracts a little bit from the chocolate (but not the OJ). I'd also like to know where I can get some of these goodies

okay Seb, here is my 2 cents:
    I like the DOF and color in the shot. The only thing to me is that it is too far divided, meaning that there is a lot of stuff in the full frame and my eyes keep going to the glass of juice.

Seb

Thanks guys for commenting. I'll keep your ideas in mind when another opportunity arise.

regards

Seb

Thread Information