Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Boutonniere

The Boutonniere

An image from a wedding that I just did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Boutonniere-105.jpg  

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Re: The Boutonniere

That's one big beautiful boutonniere.

Your selective color work is mostly effective here but you have missed some areas of the ribbon from the boutonniere while including remnants of the groom's tie. When doing images like this it is better to go in very close with the selection tool, I usually work with the magnification at 100%, to make sure you catch everything you want and nothing you don't This is a very popular technique for wedding pictures but it must be done carefully or it will come off just looking sloppy. If you decide to tidy this up a little, removing the gold tie from the area as well as where it appears between the loops of ribbon on the left and include the areas of ribbon missed on the right I think the couple will be very happy and treasure this image. Also a slight de-saturation of the portion of the image that remains colored is also a good suggestion so it doesn't come off as being over rich when compared with your monotone background. It will still have more than enough color to leap out at the viewer and distinguish itself as the object of attention.
    Compositionally I like where you have placed the flower in the frame and I think this is a strong image even without the selective color application.

Regards,
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

I don't think I can remember the last time I felt this stupid. I did not even catch the colorization of the tie as my eye just always focused on the flower. I will fix it and re post it. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

OK here is what I should have posted the first time....And I call myself a professional, HA!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Boutonniere-105b.jpg  

I think this is a very creative use of SC. I'm not huge on the technique but every once in a while someone uses it so very nicely, and you have here. My only nitpick is the bit of chin showing. Part of me wants it done away with because it seems if you show that bit of his head, you should all. But when I cover it up then it seems strange not to have some "humanness" to the image. How's that for confused? By the way, I also like the tonal range at play here. Very subtle but detail clear.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Can you tell me how you did this? I have been playing with this and have not got it yet......I would love to know how it is done.
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Chow - The way that I usaully do it is with the magnetic lasso tool in PS. go around the image that you want left in color. Once it is completely surrounded go to Select on the tool bar menu. Then go to Inverse, that will select everything but what you do not want the color removed from. Then go to Enhance:Adjust Color: and drag the bar to the left to desaturate all of the color out of the image. You can also hit "remove color" if you wish.
    I hope that is clear, if not let me know.

Thread Information