Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

An evening at the Ocean Springs marina

This is a different crop and post work of an earlier post. It is much more detailed than I can manage to post here. I hope that sooner or later I figure out how to retain the detail when I post my images, Jeff

You can view it bigger and better HERE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails An evening at the Ocean Springs marina-webdsc_8655.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: An evening at the Ocean Springs marina

I love it Jeff. I hate no to give a critique but I think it's fine. Good work.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Very attractive image Jeff.
    There's just one problem here and that is you left it too late in the evening to shoot this scene, hence so much uninteresting black areas. Shooting earlier would have given you a nice deeper blue. There also seems to be some degradation too, especially in the black areas in the upper part of the image.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Beautiful composed scene, agree that a bit of blue would be awesome

I see a gray noise on the sky and on the water that clearly stops around the poles an boats, like noise reduction done on the brighter subject but not on the sky ? I can't really tell, I do not believe it is due to uploading to the web as it would be evident on all the image and not only on the darkest areas ?

Liz

Beautiful work, Jeff! Love the image. It belongs on a wall. :thumbsup:

Liz

Thanks Greg for you comment and taking a look.

Overbeyond, I appreciate you comment and will consider a re take a little earlier. I intentionally went after dark to take this picture to see what I could get.

Armando, I don't think I did any noise reduction. I did try doing a select color and darkening that area.

Liz, as soon as I get it finished I will be ordering some larger prints and framing it to see how it looks.

Thanks to all for commenting on my photo, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The deep black-blue doesn't concern me; the noise in the dark does.

nice image, maybe too warm colors...but it's my personal view. thanks for sharing!
    My sport photography website: http://www.scattisportivi.com

the noise in the dark does.

Love it, just add a phishing rod, a beer and some friends ;)
    Submarine Camera newbie

Thanks everyone. When I get some time I will work on your suggestions and see what I can do to make it better. Thanks again, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond View Post
    Very attractive image Jeff.
    There's just one problem here and that is you left it too late in the evening to shoot this scene, hence so much uninteresting black areas. Shooting earlier would have given you a nice deeper blue. There also seems to be some degradation too, especially in the black areas in the upper part of the image.
    Yup. I always recommend that to people when they're talking about shooting at night. You want to aim for that perfect moment when the city lights or on par with the dimming evening light, so that you can go to a "Night" white balance and still see plenty of details in the shadows. It's tough because that window of time is short. Maybe 5-10 minutes before the sky is blacked out.

I agree that there's too much degradation/noise. And it's far more apparent in the bigger version to which the OP linked.

Also, compositionally speaking, I like the reflections in the water -- A LOT -- but it's a shame that the most striking object in the image is that one post near the middle of the frame.
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

Thread Information