Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Portrait of Happy and Sad

Here is another in a series of mask portraits I had done. Candlelight lighting moved over and around subjects during long exposure. Cleaned up and enhanced a bit in psp8 and added lighting effect from top left of frame. Your thoughts . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Portrait of Happy and Sad-port0204-2602xweb1jpg.jpg  
    Last edited by gahspidy; 03-19-2004 at 09:37 AM.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Really well done. The only thing that bothers me is the dark area on the sad mask. It's too linear / covers too much of the face I think. I believe a dark area in general would suit the composition, but I'd make it smaller and see if you can make it follow an irregular path across the face....
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    Really well done. The only thing that bothers me is the dark area on the sad mask. It's too linear / covers too much of the face I think. I believe a dark area in general would suit the composition, but I'd make it smaller and see if you can make it follow an irregular path across the face....
    Yes , I was not sure about how abrupt and linear that shadow line was. Replaced the original with this slightly edited version with a more subtle shadow line. Thanks for your time . . .

gary

Very nice.

Nice innovative image. I really like the way you are willing to take some initative and create an photo from an image in your mind.

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    I like the lighting on this, the technique is different from the norm and I think it works. I wonder what it looked like before the photoshop lighting technique was applied, as I think that shadow is a bit distracting. I particularly like the way the masks seem to fade into the black background.

Quote Originally Posted by darkrainfall
    I like the lighting on this, the technique is different from the norm and I think it works. I wonder what it looked like before the photoshop lighting technique was applied, as I think that shadow is a bit distracting. I particularly like the way the masks seem to fade into the black background.
    Thanks all for commenting....as for the image without lighting effects, this is it. Not sure which I like best. . . .actually now that I compare them, I do like it best without the lighting effect. I think this one is the keeper. . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Portrait of Happy and Sad-port0204-2602xweb0.jpg  
    Last edited by gahspidy; 03-19-2004 at 11:30 PM. Reason: add text

gary

That one is almost perfect I think. All I would try to do (and you could do it with some selective color burning in PS) is put a bit of shadow along the bottom left corner. Literally just balance off the amount of shadow on the top right (i.e. not nearly as much as the other shot).
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information