Portrait of Happy and Sad

Printable View

• 03-19-2004, 09:16 AM
    gahspidy
    1 Attachment(s)
    Portrait of Happy and Sad
    Here is another in a series of mask portraits I had done. Candlelight lighting moved over and around subjects during long exposure. Cleaned up and enhanced a bit in psp8 and added lighting effect from top left of frame. Your thoughts . . .
  • 03-19-2004, 09:19 AM
    PuckJunkey
    Really well done. The only thing that bothers me is the dark area on the sad mask. It's too linear / covers too much of the face I think. I believe a dark area in general would suit the composition, but I'd make it smaller and see if you can make it follow an irregular path across the face....
  • 03-19-2004, 09:42 AM
    gahspidy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    Really well done. The only thing that bothers me is the dark area on the sad mask. It's too linear / covers too much of the face I think. I believe a dark area in general would suit the composition, but I'd make it smaller and see if you can make it follow an irregular path across the face....

Yes , I was not sure about how abrupt and linear that shadow line was. Replaced the original with this slightly edited version with a more subtle shadow line. Thanks for your time . . .
  • 03-19-2004, 12:02 PM
    Old Timer
    Very nice.
    Nice innovative image. I really like the way you are willing to take some initative and create an photo from an image in your mind.
  • 03-19-2004, 12:43 PM
    darkrainfall
    I like the lighting on this, the technique is different from the norm and I think it works. I wonder what it looked like before the photoshop lighting technique was applied, as I think that shadow is a bit distracting. I particularly like the way the masks seem to fade into the black background.
  • 03-19-2004, 11:21 PM
    gahspidy
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by darkrainfall
    I like the lighting on this, the technique is different from the norm and I think it works. I wonder what it looked like before the photoshop lighting technique was applied, as I think that shadow is a bit distracting. I particularly like the way the masks seem to fade into the black background.

Thanks all for commenting....as for the image without lighting effects, this is it. Not sure which I like best. . . .actually now that I compare them, I do like it best without the lighting effect. I think this one is the keeper. . . .
  • 03-20-2004, 07:54 AM
    PuckJunkey
    That one is almost perfect I think. All I would try to do (and you could do it with some selective color burning in PS) is put a bit of shadow along the bottom left corner. Literally just balance off the amount of shadow on the top right (i.e. not nearly as much as the other shot).