portrait of a girl

Printable View

• 02-04-2004, 07:17 PM
    natatbeach
    2 Attachment(s)
    portrait of a girl
    This is the daughter of one of my closest friends ===she loves to be in front of the camera and I love to practice on her...

My main question is is this too tight a crop and do you think color would have been better?

any suggestions and comments ALWAYS welcome
  • 02-05-2004, 08:40 AM
    bingo pajama
    nat-
    i don't necessarily think the crop is too tight. i don't know what the original looked like, but this one seems ok. as to the color vs bw... i love black and white. i am biased towards it. i think that the omission of color focuses more attention on the subject, as well as textures. that said, i think the bw version you have here is not as good as the color. the color version seems... warmer. cozier. friendlier. maybe you could play around with the channel mixer in ps to see different effects for bw...

otherwise, i think this is a great shot. i really like all your stuff, actually- you have a knack for capturing people at their best.
  • 02-05-2004, 09:07 AM
    Old Timer
    My main question is is this too tight a crop and do you think color would have been better?

any suggestions and comments ALWAYS welcome[/QUOTE
    ]

I love tight crops and this is a good one. If I had any nit pik at all it would be that I would crop a little tighter on the right side to decrease the size of the forearm. IMHO it is somewhat distracting. The use of b&w here is excellent it gives the image a much richer feel. Love your post keep giving us beautiful images.
  • 02-05-2004, 09:14 AM
    MelissaD
    Does the origional include the elbow? I love the tight crop, but I think that where the arm is cut off on the right side is distracting. I think moving the crop on that side either in or out would improve. Otherwise, I love it! I'd also like to see it in sepia tone...maybe even leave the eyes colored :) Nice, nice capture.
    Mel
  • 02-05-2004, 09:22 AM
    Old Timer

any suggestions and comments ALWAYS welcome[/QUOTE
    ]

I love tight crops and this is a good one. If I had any nit pik at all it would be that I would crop a little tighter on the right side to decrease the size of the forearm. IMHO it is somewhat distracting. The use of b&w here is excellent it gives the image a much richer feel. Love your post keep giving us beautiful images.
  • 02-05-2004, 11:14 AM
    Lava Lamp
    This is very nice, but her arm dominates the frame a bit.
  • 02-05-2004, 11:16 AM
    Sebastian
    You got a great arm and a nice girl in the process. :)

She looks uncomfortable, and the arm dominates way too much. Try to focus on her face, she seems to be very expressive.
  • 02-05-2004, 08:05 PM
    another view
    I have to agree about the arm - if the camera was higher and pointing down at an angle, it would help. I do like the b&w here too.
  • 02-05-2004, 10:30 PM
    natatbeach
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bingo pajama
    nat-
    i don't necessarily think the crop is too tight. i don't know what the original looked like, but this one seems ok. as to the color vs bw... i love black and white. i am biased towards it. i think that the omission of color focuses more attention on the subject, as well as textures. that said, i think the bw version you have here is not as good as the color. the color version seems... warmer. cozier. friendlier. maybe you could play around with the channel mixer in ps to see different effects for bw...

otherwise, i think this is a great shot. i really like all your stuff, actually- you have a knack for capturing people at their best.

The original is not much bigger, I actually cropped part of the arm out because it was too much...thanks for the kind words about capturing people...I really love shooting people(in a photo way ;) )

I see what you mean about the BW version it is a little flat..
    Thanks for looking I really appreciate your input....
  • 02-05-2004, 10:33 PM
    natatbeach
    thanks
    Dear proffesional grouch---lol I love that title...I might have thought of it if you hadn't already ;)

Thnaks for your input---that pesky meaty sweet girl arm...the great part is I se her every other week, so I can re-shoot

thanks for looking and commenting, I really do appreciate it.
  • 02-05-2004, 10:58 PM
    natatbeach
    1 Attachment(s)
    sepia
    here's the original size uncropped and in a sepia and colored eyes---It's freakin' me out man!

I like the full sepia but not the combo but I figured I'd oblige since you have generlly wonderfully creative ideas...

thnaks for the input:)
  • 02-05-2004, 11:00 PM
    natatbeach
    Thanks and...
    I agree about the arm...thanks for looking ;)
  • 02-05-2004, 11:03 PM
    natatbeach
    1 Attachment(s)
    Lol
    finally someone sees the focus of the shot...I admit it was the arm I was showcasing the girl was just a bonus ;)

I think the more I look at it she's lost behind the arm...here's a few others I took in a montage/collage whatever it's called.
  • 02-05-2004, 11:05 PM
    natatbeach
    ice cream?
    Body by Ben and Jerry's--lol that's a new one :D

thanks for looking, really you have an interesting way of seeing things and a new angle may be in order