Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Portrait of Becky

Another shot of Becky. I love this colour version.
    Again, window light only.
    Your thoughts, as always, are appreciated. TIA
    Last edited by Alison; 02-25-2007 at 05:23 PM.

Re: Portrait of Becky

very nice skin tones and incredable lighting, hower i don't feel as connected to the subject as the phone one. i like the framing alot, i really can't find any fault in this photo.

very nice job, yet again :-)
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Alison,
    As always, very nice shot. If I had to pick one thing I would change (and I'm grasping at things here) it would be to have her use a little less makeup, it makes her cheeks a bit too red for me.

-Jeff

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    Another shot of Becky. I love this colour version.
    Again, window light only.
    Your thoughts, as always, are appreciated. TIA
    Alison, I think that your framing is especially excellent. I like the inclusion of the shoulder on the left side. It almost creates a circular pattern that makes my eyes spin inside the photograph.

Seb

GB1

Very nice shot! It's soft and sharp at the same time... did you soften the shot a little with a filter or with a graphics program? I like how you got the eyes to be the sharpest part of the photo. I find the contrast and lighting to have a "lazy summer day" feeling, like the kind of look you'd see at a beach cottage in late July or August. Funny, her expression seems to be "What, you're not taking me with you??" or "You're telling me to stay away from him!!??"

The only suggestions would be to make the eyes just a little bit sharper, and that it might have been better iif she had curled her lips just a little bit to create a bit of a smile... But it's perfectly good the way it is also.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

It was a pretty sharp image in the first place but I did sharpen her eyes a little. I sharpened them once more but then undid it because it looked too much.
    I used a kodak airbrush filter to make it look a little more glamorous. And then I cropped it.

I think the look she has on her face is due to a modelling programme. They were telling the models to blow slightly through their lips to create a pout.

I love close-ups, BIG TIME!

Thank you EVERYONE for your kind comments.
    It's thanks to the cc given on here that I have improved on my lighting and photography skills. It's nice to know I am finally getting things right.

Those eyes won't leave me alone!!

I love your use of natural light. Do you ever use anything to bounce the light or is it just straight from the window?

You seem to have an endless supply of models. Do they ever get tired of seeing mom with her camera?

Beautiful job!!

Quote Originally Posted by mugshot
    Those eyes won't leave me alone!!

I love your use of natural light. Do you ever use anything to bounce the light or is it just straight from the window?

Sometimes I use a bounced flash but try not to. And I don't have any reflectors. In this case it was purely light from the window in my back door, in my grotty kitchen, by my water boiler LOL
    There is a window behind becky on the same wall as the door :thumbsup:

You seem to have an endless supply of models. Do they ever get tired of seeing mom with her camera?

Yes their eyes occasionally roll or they run off in the opposite direction but they are usually pretty good. They know my reasons for wanting to capture every moment and for wanting them to have nice photo's of themselves. I don't have many photo's of myself as a child.

Beautiful job!!
    Thank you so much
    Last edited by Alison; 07-28-2006 at 12:17 PM.

Great foto! I would just tone the airburshing down a little bit unelss that was the look you were going for.

Very nice picture. I like it. I cant say anything bad about it.

Is this your daughter?
    Nikon D50
    Nikkor 28mm-80mm f/3.3-5.6
    Quantaray 70mm-300mm f/4.0-5.6
    Quantaray 58mm Circular Polarizer, Diffuser, UV Haze Filters

HD - yes, this was the look I was going for.

Tom - yes, this is my daughter. One things for sure, I never looked like this at 14!!!

Thank you both for taking the time to comment.

Thread Information