Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please edit and tell what you did?

Please edit if you have time, and let me know why and how you did it? I am trying to learn. Thanks so much :-)

Oops, here is the pic

I somehow managed to not attach the photo to the original posting. Woops!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please edit and tell what you did?-dsc_0976.jpg  

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Please edit and tell what you did?

With elements 6 I did the following:

brightnesss -46
    contrast +44

color adjust for skiin tone click neck in v of necklace

lasso tool left side eye increase saturation to +24

lasso tool right eye increase saturation to +24
    decrease brightness to -6

The lasso tool is used to isolate certain elements of the photo to work on only that part.
    Under color enhancements you can adjust for skin tone. You would click on the person's sking and elements adjusts skin tones. I tried several places to click. I did not want to lose the blush.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please edit and tell what you did?-edit.jpg  
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I did not remove the moles but that could be easily done. Just wouldn't be her.
    Maybe the blemishes could be removed on her neck by hair on right side though. They don't look permanent.
    Keep Shooting!

So I thought I'd give it a shot. I did two, one with the moles and one without. I agree with Frog, It's not her without them. Just wanted to show what could be done. As for corrections, I fixed the white balance, increased the blacks, sharpened just a tad, and used the brush to smooth the skin. I also used the lens correction tool in Lightroom. I did this in Lightroom 4, Highly recommended program. I then removed the moles in Photoshop using content aware fill. Unfortunately, they don't look as good to me once posted, as they do in LR or PS, I'm still trying to figure that one out myself. Hope you like them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please edit and tell what you did?-untitled-1-2.jpg   Please edit and tell what you did?-untitled-2.jpg  

another version

edited in catpture nx2

• brightness -10, to reduce the higlights
    • color balance blue -14 red +22, change the whitebalance to a color I think looks more natural
    • create a double threshold histogram with everything between 20 and 200 , using this apply a high pass focus overlay radius 4, 100% luminance 0% chrominance, this increases defintion in the mid tones
    • add a black white filter in blue(190) which contrast nicely with the pink tones, make it an overlay and reduce intensity to 28%, only on the face, this increases the contrasts, create a bit of shadows
    • Image still looks a bot soft to me, added and unsharp mask 39%, 1 pixel, 2 threshold

Save

I noticed you have a nikon d3000, if you pplan to shoot in RAW I highly recoment either capture nx2, or lightroom 4

Nice thread. I like the idea of reading what people do in their pp.

I made a 2nd layer of the image. Then using silver efex pro, I turned that in to a very good black and white image. You can also use the channel mixer to generate a black and white you really like. Once that was done, I turned that layer from 'normal' to luminisity. What this does is give the colour image the same nice tonal range that I liked in teh black and white I just created.

From there, I turned the image to CMYK and removed some Cyan (blue) by going to
    Image adjustment -> Curves. Then when you see the diagonal line, just click on the middle, a point will appear, click and drag that down a tiny bit. That will get rid of the blue cast that's apparent in your initial image.

Edit: I softned her skin abit too. By duplicating the image layer, then doing a noise reduction,then masking it so it only shows through on the cheeks and a select other areas.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

LOL.....as you can tell, there is no ONE way.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    LOL.....as you can tell, there is no ONE way.
    There can be as many variations as there are humans. lol.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post

another version

edited in catpture nx2

• brightness -10, to reduce the higlights
    • color balance blue -14 red +22, change the whitebalance to a color I think looks more natural
    • create a double threshold histogram with everything between 20 and 200 , using this apply a high pass focus overlay radius 4, 100% luminance 0% chrominance, this increases defintion in the mid tones
    • add a black white filter in blue(190) which contrast nicely with the pink tones, make it an overlay and reduce intensity to 28%, only on the face, this increases the contrasts, create a bit of shadows
    • Image still looks a bot soft to me, added and unsharp mask 39%, 1 pixel, 2 threshold

Save

I noticed you have a nikon d3000, if you pplan to shoot in RAW I highly recoment either capture nx2, or lightroom 4
    I've been in awe of everyone's knowledge and expertise as I've been reading each description of editing steps. But I just read "I noticed you have a Nikon D3000..." and my jaw hit the floor. How did you know that?! I don't remember posting it! Haha! I feel spooked!!

Wow. I am just in such awe of what you all can do. I can't wait to have a program that is capable of doing those things! That would be just as much fun as actually taking the photos, I think! Its genuine art. I love the warmth of one edit, the smoothness of another, the liquid eyes and clarity of others. I think you begin to see how some photographers favour certain characteristics in a photo, because none of your edits are the same! They are all beautiful and thank you so much for this amazing reference. I think the moles would have to stay for personal photos, but not for professional modeling? Just a guess. You guys are great!!

Just Me

My version.
    I separated by selection all elements of the image (skin, eyes, hair, lips, cloths, background) and applied different amounts of contrast, sharpness, levels,...etc. to each selection until I felt it all came together for me.
    Last edited by geraldb; 05-21-2012 at 07:54 AM.

I like how you smoothed out the lips, too. She had dry lips. I hope I have your skill one day! It looks good! Thank you for taking the time :-)

Frog I just really love the warmth of the photo you did!

Adamo you are just so skilled at making flawless skin - incredible...and the eyes are so liquid!

Armando - your version of her eyes is my favorite! They are compelling, to me. And did you do anything to the eyelashes?

Leels, I think you did a combination of each. Wow...smooth skin, such nice colour, eyes are so liquid (I have no idea how else to describe what I mean or what I like in eyes, there must be a more professional way to say that!). Thank you so much for your help. All of you.

Digital cameras save the parameters that were used to take the photo inside the .jpg or Raw file, that's how I was able to see you have a D3000, the aperture, lens length used, time of exposure, ISO , this collection is called EXIF information

Do something specific to the eye lashes, no nothing, just added overall sharpness

Very great portrait. As has been attended to, the white balance is quite off. The shirt has some very nasty looking blown highlights as well. Two options there, shadow/highlight balance in a selective second layer, or better yet soft black gradients made as soft-light overlays above blown highlight spots.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
    Camera Model: NIKON D3000
    Image Date: 2010-02-14 17:44:31 (no TZ)
    Focal Length: 55mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Exposure Time: 0.033 s (1/30)
    ISO equiv: 400
    Exposure Bias: none
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    White Balance: Auto
    Flash Fired: No (enforced)
    Color Space: sRGB
    GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
    Photographer: Picasa
    Software: Nikon Transfer 1.5 W

Right click a photo and at the bottom of the drop down there is EXIF data. Click that and the info shows up. You may have to acquire a program to do that. Its an option in firefox. Doesn't work when pics are loaded from other web sites.
    Keep Shooting!

I was literally laughing out loud, Frog. I feel so exposed! I had no idea how to view all of that stuff on my cameral let alone online on a photo! Now to figure out how to right click on a Macbook Air...there is no right button or mouse

on your computer you should be able to click properties on your photos. I know nothing about MacBooks but someone does.

I deleted the part that showed what you had for dinner.
    Keep Shooting!

Try holding the control button and doing a normal click. That should give you the right click. Maybe the option button. I'm pretty sure it's the control button though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    I deleted the part that showed what you had for dinner.
    haha
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Just Me

I just realized I accidently deleted my edited version, here it is.
    G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please edit and tell what you did?-gerald-version6.jpg  

Ctn

Thought i'd have a go. Maybe not to your taste, but i really liked in B&W because her beautiful eyes also pop out on B&W.
    Did some contrast/WB/lightning etc adjustments to even things out a bit, after that lightened her left eye (for the viewers) a bit, to match her right eye more. darkened a bit of her hair and played a bit with the B&W color channels.
    I like how it came out, hope you do too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please edit and tell what you did?-dsc_0976.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information