Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Alone on the Beach

Just a tree. Not sure about this one. ..well..a tree on a beach all by its lonesome. Trying for a vastness kinda scale.
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

Re: Alone on the Beach

I like the concept, I love those Florida afternoon skies with the t-storm build ups in the distance. I would like to see a little more room around the tree, the crop feels cramped to me. I would like to see this later in the day also, the light is pretty flat an uninteresting. I imagine those buildups in the distance with some color on them and the tree with a really long shadow.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Good points "E"..it was a morning run and quite frankly..I was running out of inspiration.
    Thx, Rod

I like it. The framing might be a little to tight for me but it works. Nice colors too. Makes me want summer and no more of this single digit weather up here, haha. Good job!

I also like the concept. I agree shooting this during the magic hour may really make it pop. For me I would have cropped some of the sky from the top and given a little more room on the sides.
    Also for me the tankers on the horizon are a distraction I would have tried to clone them out.

Ray Still

Kentucky Wildlife

I agree with what EOS said. I've found that when shooting in harsh sunlight, I achieve better contrast and color saturation by underexposing by 1/3-stop. You might be able to adjust the exposure in your PP software to get a similar result.

thx for the responses. I usually underexpose a number of different stops. Unfortunately I didn't give this one enough room on the sides because I wanted more scale of the tree in its lonesomeness. I have sunk the tankers!!! And it was bright but still around 9:00 in the morning. heres minutes later after those ships sunk.
    Thx, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Abiciriderback
    I agree shooting this during the magic hour may really make it pop.
    Ray,
    Keep in mind that down here in S FL the "golden hour" is usually more like the "Golden 15 minutes" on a GOOD day. My wife grew up at a latitude higher up than Toronto, and this was one of the things she really struggled with at first, as she was accustomed to 3 hrs of twilight at dusk and dawn. The sun rises @ 7 a.m. right now, and the "golden hour" is done by 7:10a.m. - bright harsh white light everywhere. You really do have to be in exactly the right place at exactly the right time. If you look at the EXIF data, this shot was taken at 9a.m.

It makes me want to go to the beach.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Rod,
    I like this one, but agree with some of the other comments, I think you could actually leave it tight on the right if you could open up the left a little bit. And where the heck did you find a tree like that without 3 bums living under it?

Shoot Now - Sort Later

I like this shot for some reason. I live on an island and it's completely normal to find a lonely palm on the beach. However, this isn't a palm tree and almost looks out of place. It's different - I like!
    ~ I refuse to tip-toe though life, only to arrive safely at death ~

thx jet and tsanchez..yes the golden hour is very short in the morning..sunsets are better and that may be a good time to try this area again.
    Thx, Rod

Thread Information