Pinball Wizards 2

Printable View

• 07-10-2007, 01:27 PM
    CLKunst
    1 Attachment(s)
    Pinball Wizards 2
    I put this poster together for my neighbor who is really into pinball machines. This is made up of elements from his favorite machine. I thought it would make a nice present for him.

Comments & Critique welcome. Suggestions cheerfully explored, but leave the editing to me.
    :cool:
  • 07-10-2007, 02:00 PM
    starriderrick
    Re: Pinball Wizards 2
    Outstanding work...I like what you did here.He will be thrilled.

Rick
  • 07-10-2007, 02:12 PM
    Greg McCary
    What a gift. Well done.
  • 07-10-2007, 03:36 PM
    Frog
    Would you be my neighbor?
  • 07-10-2007, 05:14 PM
    Overbeyond
    A visual treat.
  • 07-10-2007, 06:03 PM
    NazVil86
    haha that is awesome- i love pinball machines, too bad theyve almost done away with all the ones here at the local arcades :(
  • 07-10-2007, 11:46 PM
    GB1
    CL - Like Greg said, a heck of a gift. You are obviously not just a photographer, but have an art background too.
  • 07-11-2007, 07:58 AM
    swmdrayfan
    Waaaaaaaaaay cool, Cindy. I like it.:D
    John
  • 07-11-2007, 08:38 AM
    CLKunst
    Thanks a bunch for the nice feedback everyone! I think he'll like it.:)
  • 07-12-2007, 09:38 AM
    mamajan
    Wow Cindy! Awesome.
  • 07-14-2007, 05:40 PM
    gahspidy
    Great work, Cindy. This will make a very cool poster.
  • 07-14-2007, 05:57 PM
    MonkeyWrench
    Fabulous Composite. I grew up loving pinball. You totally captured the spirit of the machine. Very Cool Poster Indead.
  • 07-14-2007, 06:22 PM
    CLKunst
    Thanks for the lovely extra comments Mamajan, Gary and Monkey Wrench~

I've gotten a positive reaction from everyone who has seen it so far. I had it printed this week and it looks really stunning as a 20x30+ poster! I had it printed at my local Staples because they've been running a poster promotion on oversized prints and I wanted to compare price/quality with the usual shops that I go to. Overall the final print is beautiful but fragile ~ like a big desk jet print. It took four tries and four days to get it right (primarily due to staff errors in handling and trimming) but it came out (after the print manager stood next to it until it was done and forbade any one from touching it). So much for fast and easy! Still the finished print is good and once it is behind glass it'll be protected from further mishandling, but, lesson learned. Fast and convenient does not equal better, at least from my Falls Church, VA Staples print room. Next time I'll just use Mpix and be done with it once. :)
  • 07-14-2007, 06:58 PM
    freygr
    I hope it was done with pigment based ink. There are only a few companies that make printers which use them.
  • 07-14-2007, 10:24 PM
    Yoyo Szeto
    Hi CL,
    The poster is very eye-catching! There is a good story in it as well. Could you enlighten me how you did it?
    yoyo
  • 07-15-2007, 07:11 AM
    CLKunst
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freygr
    I hope it was done with pigment based ink. There are only a few companies that make printers which use them.

I seriously doubt it Frey. I don't think they could even tell me what kind of paper they used. When I asked about their printer the staff barely knew anything about it other than it's brand name. That's why I go to real print shops but it was good to experiment and they did get it right eventually.
  • 07-15-2007, 07:32 AM
    CLKunst
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoyo Szeto
    Hi CL,
    The poster is very eye-catching! There is a good story in it as well. Could you enlighten me how you did it?
    yoyo

Thank you Yoyo! Pinball machines have great graphics with busy compacted scenes all over them. I used a split field magnification filter (+1) to try and give the illusion of depth to a small scene. Then I took macro portraits of the scenes to separate them from their surroundings, cut them out and layered them back up in PS. The lamp, the princess in the bottle and the man on the flying carpet were trimmed out of their surroundings more closely as they are actual game elements from the board itself. And obviously I drew in the smoke rising out of the lamp myself. Since the game focus leads you through specific goals I wanted to tell the story of how to win the game and the levels you have to rise through to rescue the princess. I've attached a shot that shows the back board of the game where most of the elements came from.
  • 07-15-2007, 08:10 AM
    Yoyo Szeto
    Hi CL,
    Thanks a lot for the crystal clear explanation. I have not thought about the technique you used before; I am inspired.
    yoyo