Pier

Printable View

• 02-05-2012, 11:19 PM
    GB1
    Pier
    Taken in San Diego last month, on a somewhat wet evening.

http://www.gregbulla.com/Photography...Edit1_1000.jpg
  • 02-06-2012, 02:24 PM
    armando_m
    Re: Pier
    with the heavily overcast day, the light is way flat, the pier is interesting, but needs some light & shadows

do you like it for some particular reason ?
  • 02-06-2012, 03:23 PM
    draymorton
    I see what Armando is saying, but I like it as is. The muted tones and flat light really work for me.
  • 02-06-2012, 03:31 PM
    Greg McCary
    I think all the boats on the left side unbalances the image.
  • 02-06-2012, 08:18 PM
    GB1
    2 Attachment(s)
    Thks fellows.

Armando, I like the geometry and even tones, but maybe, oddly enough, I also like the rain since we don't see that here very often in San Diego .. a different perspective. :D But also tried a few edits here, what do you think?

Dray, you hit it right on the head as far as what attracts me to it. Reversing things up.

Greg, I agree regarding those pesky boats merging into the pier. I guess I could digitally remove them (with a lot of work), though the background ones I sorta like all being on one side: a good imbalance maybe :D
  • 02-06-2012, 08:55 PM
    armando_m
    I like the edit with the rain , how do you add that ?
  • 02-06-2012, 09:53 PM
    ksbryan0
    I like the edits better than the original, which I find too bland. In my mind this shot is all about the geometric shapes and patterns, while having a very clean, almost sterile feel. At first I wasn't too excited about the falling rain, but then considered the additional intersecting lines it brings, and now think it fits well.
  • 02-07-2012, 10:18 AM
    GB1
    Thanks for the comments on the edits, fellows. I added the rain in Corel PhotoPaint using their 'Weather' effect. I definitely feel the edits are superior, one of those situations where the effect adds to the shot. It really pulls out the geometrics, but note that I also adjusted the contrast which seems to improve the shot either way.

G
  • 02-08-2012, 02:10 AM
    terry1444
    Quote:

It really pulls out the geometrics, but note that I also adjusted the contrast which seems to improve the shot either way
    what you have done is much better now!:)

[IMG]http://www.**********/g.gif[/IMG]
  • 02-08-2012, 01:28 PM
    Neous
    Thanks for the corel tip

good job on the edit, btw
  • 02-08-2012, 02:03 PM
    Don Schaeffer
    I think there is too much pier. I would cut some from the bottom.
  • 02-08-2012, 08:09 PM
    GB1
    thks fellows. Don, I'm not seeing it in my expt. Try the crop and repost it here if you think it will help. I don't mind.

Corel still has a few tricks that PS can't match, like weather, visual rotation, a one page stop to do critical adjustments, etc.
  • 02-18-2012, 12:26 AM
    KKKKCCCC
    Nice shot!