Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Some Flowers

Some Flowers

Here's some flowers, well, actually weeds that are blossoming right now. I found that my weed infested yard makes for some nice photo inspiration. I like the orange one better and my wife likes the yellow one. To me the yellow one doesn't really say much, but the orange one has more meaning, I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some Flowers-yellow-flower.jpg   Some Flowers-orange-flower.jpg  

I agree with your Wife.....

The yellow one is more appealing because there is less in the frame, so the background is simpler, letting you see the flower more. Try getting closer & keep the background simple without distractions. Some people may even carry some card to put behind the flower to give a uniformed background.

Keep taking pictures & let us see them !
    Happy to Photograph
    Norman

Vote number 2 for your wife

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    Here's some flowers, well, actually weeds that are blossoming right now. I found that my weed infested yard makes for some nice photo inspiration. I like the orange one better and my wife likes the yellow one. To me the yellow one doesn't really say much, but the orange one has more meaning, I think.
    I agree with Norman for the same reason; too much clutter in the background of the orange one. As Norman suggests, a piece of backing board (I prefer black) can really help this type of image in its simplification and contrast.

Nice shots,

PG

Interesting... Very interesting... I was going for a contrast between the pretty flower and the thorns of the tumbleweed and rough texture of the granite rock underneath, but I guess it doesn't work. Is there situations where someting like that would work? Thanks for the comments and I will take & post more shots!!

I'm no expert

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    Interesting... Very interesting... I was going for a contrast between the pretty flower and the thorns of the tumbleweed and rough texture of the granite rock underneath, but I guess it doesn't work. Is there situations where someting like that would work? Thanks for the comments and I will take & post more shots!!

I beleive contrast is very compelling in phototgraohy, but I think in the orange picture there is too much. Either the brambles or the granite, but not both. I believe a smooth, consistent background (like in the yellow flower) is more provoking. Sorry for the opines of a newbie. Yes, post more!

PG

Thread Information