• 05-04-2006, 06:30 PM
    Tuna
    The Performers
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...formers238.jpg

Leica MP, Voigtlander 35/1.7, Velvia
  • 05-04-2006, 06:54 PM
    payn817
    Re: The Performers
    I like the expressions you've captured, and the way the girl is the only one who appears happy to be there. The people with the cameras are distracting me though because I wanna know what's happening over there. Perhaps that is why I'm thinking I like it, but IMO isn't as strong as your usual stuff.

my $.02 :)
  • 05-04-2006, 08:10 PM
    Ronnoco
    Boy, Tuna, that was perfect timing! I can't believe the variation in expressions and audience reaction from pretty well everyone in your photo. Talk about a photo, that tells a story! This is like some early American now retro-style art.

Ronnoco
  • 05-04-2006, 08:27 PM
    Liz
    I love it! It's a classic.......

It reminds me of one of Norman Rockwell's famous hometown paintings.

Great job!

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuna
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...formers238.jpg

Leica MP, Voigtlander 35/1.7, Velvia

• 05-04-2006, 08:28 PM
    swmdrayfan
    I looked at this and Norman Rockwell immediately came to mind. Way to go Tuna!
    John
  • 05-04-2006, 08:33 PM
    JSPhoto
    I'll 3rd that......nice job! Even the WB and color are great, and it's sharp.

JS
  • 05-04-2006, 11:27 PM
    Overbeyond
    What a miserable bunch they are. Except of course for the little girl in the front who appears to be the only one aware of the camera and then takes full advantage of it. I like the little bits like the books under the seats and the woman near the back who appears to be blowing the old nose.
    Couldn't stage it better myself Tuna LOL
    Tom
  • 05-05-2006, 05:56 AM
    Don Schaeffer
    This IS a great shot. I agree. Norman Rockwell comes to mind.
  • 05-05-2006, 06:40 AM
    Yoyo Szeto
    Hi Tuna,
    I agree with the previous comments. Very well done!
    yoyo
  • 05-05-2006, 08:14 AM
    PlantedTao
    Another great moment in time captured! This photo is wonderful, I just love how everyone is in their own little universe...it is so well captured in this photo.

I really like the color photos you have been posting...still your same style only in color, I love it.

So, if this is in color are you still using a rangefinder and film?
    Also, when you shot (typically) do you have a camera with AP or are you all manual?
    Thanks.
  • 05-05-2006, 08:25 AM
    mtbbrian
    My first thought was, "This can't be from Tuna, because it's color!"
    I don't think I have ever seen anything from you in color.
    The only other thing I'd have to add is that the huge window is a bit distracting but I know it couldn't be helped.
    Great timing and expressions!
    Another Tuna Classic!
    I think you should use more color!
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
  • 05-05-2006, 11:33 AM
    Tuna
    Thank you to everyone who has commented and critiqued this image. I am really glad you like this quirky moment. I converted to B&W but, this time, I felt a loss. When I looked at the color version I felt that it had a little of the "Martin Parr" look to it. Parr photos all have a certain off-center approach (in style, not compo...) and are predominantly in bright, pastel-like colors - I would recommend seeing his images to all - magnumphotos.com has a great collection of his work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlantedTao
    So, if this is in color are you still using a rangefinder and film?
    Also, when you shot (typically) do you have a camera with AP or are you all manual?
    Thanks.

This was shot with the Leica MP rangefinder on slide film (Velvia). However, just today I took out my digital for a few shots at the garden show with the idea of doing some more color stuff (...and the fully charged battery that sat there unused for over 5 months died on me after about 10 shots - completely shutting down the camera. Luckily I had my trusty IIIc loaded with FILM(!) in the car...).

Tuna
  • 05-05-2006, 11:59 AM
    Anbesol
    damn tuna, how does anybody keep up with you?!

great shot! Perfect focus and DOF. Only thing i could suggest would be that i would personally crop the top of the shot and make it more panoramic.
  • 05-05-2006, 02:19 PM
    molaselake
    Tuna, do you paint? Because I think this would look even more awesome as a painting :)
  • 05-05-2006, 06:08 PM
    Yoyo Szeto
    Hi Tuna,
    For your interest, here is a radio program with Martin Parr: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/...20040407.shtml.
    yoyo
  • 05-06-2006, 01:10 AM
    readingr
    Tuna,

Almost eveyone beat me to the comments I had so just to say that this is excellent and its in colour.

The impression I get from this is exam candidates waiting for their turn with the examiner

Roger
  • 05-06-2006, 04:18 PM
    LeeIs
    Great shot Tuna. It's very weird in a way also. How almost everyone is distracted by something is kinda surreal.
  • 05-06-2006, 07:12 PM
    Herriot
    Excellent! Can look at this for ages, so much going on, particularly like the fact that there are 5 pews of people all adding something different to the shot, varied postures, varied expressions, varied thoughts, just wondering how good the performers actually were! Great colour shot from you.

Herriot