Peace

Printable View

• 09-15-2005, 11:33 AM
    Chunk
    1 Attachment(s)
    Peace
    This graveyard is on the grounds of a 'County Farm' where folks without family and who couldn't care for themselves used to live. Many of the old concrete gravestones bear this simple wish though some have names and dates. I don't know whether the names were not known when these stones were placed on older graves or if it was simply a matter of not expending any effort on this 'potter's field'.
  • 09-15-2005, 12:39 PM
    OldSchool
    Re: Peace
    Hi Chunk,
    That is a emotive story, and the image goes well with the story.

On it's own for me, however, the image is not that strong. It's a tough exposure with those sun spots on the grass. Maybe a creative closer up of one of those gravestones?

BR,
    Tim
  • 09-16-2005, 12:57 AM
    gahspidy
    Chunk, knowing the background of the story to the image gives it more impact, for me. The image is good, but I'm feeling that the stone on the left foreground is directly in front of the stone behind it and loses something there. A little bit to the left might have kept all the stones away from in front of another. For me, thats the only issue.
  • 09-16-2005, 01:34 AM
    readingr
    Chunck,

Interesting story and it does make sense of the photo.

However, for me the photo does not stand up on its own and I think its becasue the lighting lets it down because its too flat which does not bring out the textures inherent in the grass and the concrete.

Roger
  • 09-16-2005, 07:52 AM
    Chunk
    2 Attachment(s)
    Thanks to you all for your replies and suggestions. I think I'll revisit this location with afternoon rather than morning sun to get the light on the front of the slabs and have another go at it. It was the shadow patterns that caught my attention while driving by. Here are a couple other shots with better composition or different lighting, I think a combination of elements of all of them is what I was going for but missed.
  • 09-17-2005, 12:39 AM
    gahspidy
    Chunk, i like that second one alot. The shadows and texture of the grass and colors are good. Also like the comp here with the stones in the foreground and the view of so many more in the bg.
  • 09-17-2005, 12:47 PM
    Chunk
    Thanks Gary. That's good input. I wish I would have had that light at the Rest In Peace markers.
  • 09-17-2005, 05:51 PM
    Seb
    Hello Chunk,

As I saw your very first shot, I thought about suggesting something with a wider point of view and the third picture meet this expection very well. I like that one a lot. Now, this may be a bit of a cliche, but I am thinking that b&w might be more suitable here although the warm tone of the sunlight in your third picture is looking good.

regards

Seb
  • 09-19-2005, 11:06 AM
    Fenilyn
    I like the second one, the colour and the texture is great than the first one. Keep up the good work!