Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Park Ave.. . Under the Metro North

Part of a series. converted to b&w. some levels adj. Your thoughts . . .
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Park Ave.. . Under the Metro North-underpass1204-361506x1bwweb.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 01-02-2005 at 04:33 PM. Reason: UnSticking as "Featured Photo" For 27 December 2004. Last one for 2004
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Park Ave.. . Under the Metro North

I like this photograph. Some would argue of cropping the bottom part a bit, but it comes with personal taste. The lines from the sidewalk (the sides) gives it direction, so in my opinion, I wouldn't crop it The photograph overall gives me a...nostalgic feel maybe? But then again B&W does tend to do this once in a while. Is it what you're trying to convey? The person also adds a sense of mystery to the photo, giving it more interest. A mysterious nostalgia.
    In a different interpretation, this picture could symbolize hope. Interesting photo.

Great Job!

Mando
    "The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance."
    Aristotle

"What the mass media offers is not popular art, but entertainment which is intended to be consumed like food, forgotten, and replaced by a new dish."
    W. H. Auden

Gary,

I do like this picture a lot but I have one problem with it and that is the big square sign that leads my eye every time I look at the picture. This takes away from the mystery of the character walking in the tunnel which I think should be the key item in the photo as all the lines lead to him.

Perhaps a bit of PS to remove the offending square and it will be excellent photo. I Must do some more black and white used to do a lot in film.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Part of a series. converted to b&w. some levels adj. Your thoughts . . .
    Thanks
    Hello Gary,

I fully agree with Mando's opinion. This is a very good and rather mysterious photograph.
    I assume that it was shot with a wide angle. Somehow, I wouldn't expect the use of such a lense in this situation but it still works well for me. The wall lines in the foreground are almost curved though.

Seb

Hi Gary,
    The composition and the perspective of the pic have an impact during viewing. It seems to me the guy was walking into the light. I wonder if he was walking into the tunnel would fit in the mood better.
    yoyo

That sign doesn't bother me a bit. If I were going to bothered by something, it would be the square light in the tunnel or the debris on the ground in the foreground. But those don't bother me either.

I like it!

very cool. i like the crop, and think the garbage in the forground is the perfect amount of detail. if this is part of a series i'll be looking fwd to the rest.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Another good one Gary.
    Looks like the series is coming along nicely!
    Not much more to add that hasn't already been said.
    Although I think I would burn in the playground a bit more, if haven't already.
    Thanks again for sharing it with us!
    Can I get a signed copy of the book when it comes out?
    ;)
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    The wall lines in the foreground are almost curved though.

Seb
    Perhaps you could tell us what gear you are using. Sounds like distortion to me.

Thanks all for commenting. Very happy with the feedback on this one.

Mando . . .interesting interpretation. . .of hope. Yes I was going for a mysterious feel which is one of a fewreasons why I used the wide angle here. . to lengthen the tunnel, include the debris in the foreground, and to put the figure far off . My interpretation or feel i have for the image is somehwhat different as i will get into .

Roger . . . I think I feel the same about the outside area, especially the sign, being to prominent. I actually burned all that in thinking a better feel for what is outside would enhance but I'm feeling that I would rather have the outside area very obscure with the focus on the figure walking out into whatever ones imagination would have them create.

Seb . . thanks for the comments. . .yeah there is definetely some barrel distortion going on here. . .but I rather don't mind it in most shots. Can be fixed with some ps tools , but I tend to leave it alone unless I'm dealing with a straight vertical line such as a building that I need to have straight with the frame.

Yoyo . . .great points. The comp and perspective was to be impactful and lend to the overall mood of the scene. As for the figure walking away. . .this is what makes the shot for me, although it's a personal taste thing. With the figure walking away, I enjoy a feeling of peace and comfort in that once the figure is off into the world again, I will be at peace and enjoy the comfort and security of the underpass of which I find serenity and sanity. ( maybe some therapy is needed here) If the figure were to be walking toward me, there would be the anticipation of a further scene or story developing. This series I'm on is about the comfort of being within a structure or shelter and feeling the isolation and sort of reprieve from the world outside which it brings. The focal point is always on the immediate foreground to give the viewer a sense of standing and being in that very spot.

Matt . . . Thanks for the comments, glad to know how you feel about it.

Greg . . thanks for the positive feedback. Yeah, I really prefer having elements in the foreground of most images to give a sense of here and there. . . depth.

Brian . . thanks for your positve feedback and support. Much appreciated. Actually, I've been offered time to exhibit this series as well as some other works that I had presented to a Gallery on Lexington ave called PhilosophyBox. I'll keep you informed of the details once things are worked out.

92135011 . . . .I'm using a Tamron 19-35 mm wide angle which is a great lens for the money but will be the next upgrade I go for. Yeah, distortion and at full wide anglke can be very soft focus around the edges. Which is why I usually only open it up as far as about 22mm.

gary

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

You Go Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Brian . . thanks for your positve feedback and support. Much appreciated. Actually, I've been offered time to exhibit this series as well as some other works that I had presented to a Gallery on Lexington ave called PhilosophyBox. I'll keep you informed of the details once things are worked out.
    Work It Man!
    Work It!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: You Go Gary!

Honored to have it a Featured Photo. Happy New Years and best wishes to all.

gary

Re: You Go Gary!

Congratulations, Gary!
    yoyo

Thread Information