Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Pale sky

Pale sky

How does one approach a foto to get the sky a lovely natural blue colour? Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appriciated.The haze on horizons also pose a problem and how do I get rid of it.
    Thank you
    Piet
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Pale sky

What a great shot!! Very beautiful!! I like the place where you take a pic from, the angle.
    Well, about the sky. I think the waterfall is properly exposed but the sky is overexposed - that's why it looks white. By the way, I've just posted a pic with a blue sky . I have a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens which gives a bit more blue color WITHOUT UV or any other filter - and the sky, water look great!
    About the haze. Before I bought a Canon lens I had a big problem with that. So I focused a bit closer than infinity and used f/16 aperture - this helped. Sometimes the use of UV filter helps.
    I like your shot!!!
    What waterfall is that?

I used a sigma 28 -300 lens on a Canon 300D.Should I have rather have opted for the more expensive Canon equivalent?The waterfall is called Lisbon Falls approx 20 km from Graskop in Mpumalanga South Africa.Thank you for your suggestions I will be trying it soon.
    Piet

Well, that's 10x zoom! I guess lenses without zoom are usually much better in quality of picture - sharpness, contrast, etc.. No wonder your horizon is not sharp (as you say)
    But still, that's a great shot!
    By the way, I like Canon lenses.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Piet
    How does one approach a foto to get the sky a lovely natural blue colour? Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appriciated.The haze on horizons also pose a problem and how do I get rid of it.
    Thank you
    Piet
    Nice photo!

For blue skies: use the Color Mechanic plug-in. It is designed to zero in on specific colors and allows you to change it without affecting the other colors. It works well nd is located at http://www.dl-c.com

Haze on the horizon can't be fixed. The haze is due to physical particles in the air that are hiding the scene behind them. No software or filter can see around or through those particles.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information