Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: New B&W Film

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

New B&W Film

This weekend I tried a new B&W film (old film, new to me).
    It was Ilford SFX 200, which is a fake infrared. It worked some of the time and not others...I don't know
    It was fun to play with but I think I'll use a more standard film. Here is one of my better photos from that day (very grainy).

Does this work for anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New B&W Film-08telepole.jpg  

GB1

Re: New B&W Film

Yeah, it works for me. Interesting composition too.. seems like the kind of scene you see out in the s/w desert... old equipment, train cars, signs, etc that have long since been used. I might have added a little more neg. space at the top around the poletop and the bird, but that's all.

It is pretty grainy, but that doesn't necessarily hurt the photo; it can add character and a nostalgic feel to a shot. I've found that B&W films are more grainy than their color counterparts. I'm assuming it's because there's been no R&D on B&W films in a long time, whereas color films have improved dramatically in the last 10-20 years. So I guess any B&W film > 125 will be considered fast and grainy.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

"Fake IR"??

Quote Originally Posted by PlantedTao
    It was Ilford SFX 200, which is a fake infrared.
    I am not a big Ilford film fan, so I have never heard of this film, so explain it.
    Your photograph is a bit too dark, I can't quite see a lot of detail in the rocks and wood.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I actually do like this picture. I like the angle from which it was taken, and the shade captured by the film. The only thing i really dont like is that it seems a bit underexposed (not sure if this is just the film) and the grain.

Thanks for all the comments.
    GB1 - I just getting into using different films and trying to find one or two that work for me. B&W haven't changed much (so I've heard) but I like the thought of using an older technology...I just love B&W photos from the 60-70's.
    Ian - Yeah, it does look really dark but the neg seems to have a bit more detail than what is shown here.

Brian -
    I bought this film because I wanted a slightly faster film than the Ilford 125 I was using...little did I realize that I had bought a very unique film. Thanks to the reviews on this site I was able to figure out that it is a red sensitive film...that can imitate a IR without all the hassle. I went and bought a Red Filter #25 to make the film work. It seems to work at times and other times not. I have some photos where the trees came out really white and others it looks like a standard films...except grainy. The sky had a nice color on all the shots, but I think that is due to the filter more than the film. This was my first time using a filter this dark...truthfully I didn't think I would get any shots to come out.
    The photo processing place had to do some research before they could develope it, it wasn't cheap.
    All in all, it was an expensive little journey, but I had fun and maybe got a shot or two to turn out.
    Cheers

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

All in all, it was an expensive little journey, but I had fun and maybe got a shot or two to turn out.
    Cheers
    No matter the cost, having fun is all that matters.
    BTW what was the process anyway?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Brian-
    They use a machine to process the film, but they didn't have the correct chemical and time when I first went in. They did offer to hand process it for me, which is really cool and handy to know.
    Here is a pic that came out the closest to IR without using IR film...still looks pretty standard tho
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New B&W Film-011ir.jpg  

With your original shot, it's just a tad too dark for me. I love the composition, just a little brighter and I think it would work!

Nice shooting,

Jared

Seb

It was Ilford SFX 200, which is a fake infrared. It worked some of the time and not others...I don't know
    It was fun to play with but I think I'll use a more standard film. Here is one of my better photos from that day (very grainy).

Does this work for anyone?
    I agree with Brian that the picture is a bit underexposed but I enjoy your composition. I also enjoy the look of the film (and/or filter...). This is different work.

I am not into IR and frankly, I haven't seen much of it but I find your second shot to be quite eye catching. Good comp and I just like how the trees and leafs come out.

Seb

Thread Information