Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Out in the garden

After an absoluetly gorgeous day, I went out for a two hour drive to Rosswood, a small village up north, and got some pictures. Suprsingly, some of my favourites were actually taken in my grandparents yard just down the street. Here they are. And a special request/favour to ask. If you suggest a crop or color change, or just anything really and plan to do it in PS, please feel free to do it and post it up again. I would love to know how people edit and think of my pictures. Please also include steps how to do it (if it's something difficult).

Thank you very much and enjoy,

Jared
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Out in the garden-dscf2019resized.jpg   Out in the garden-dscf2012resized.jpg   Out in the garden-dscf2007resized.jpg  

Re: Out in the garden

Jared you asked for some ps so here ya go...heres my effort, have you played with this technique yet?

[IMG]http://www.**********/j_flow_2.jpg[/IMG]

todd

Todd,

That was exactly what I was expirementing with before! Just using different saturation and hue techniques. My only problem, which looks like happened to yours too, was I could never get the blur proper on the edge of the color/black and white line...I tried blurring, but couldn't get it to look proper. Nice idea and I'll try it again,

Jared

Not an expert in PS but I do have to compliment the pic with the row of flowers. You composed it in such an unusual way. Flower pics have been done to death but you made this shot interesting
    ~Nina~

Nina,

Thanks for the words. I know the feeling about the flowers, and everything been done before. I wanted some sort of a 'messy' pattern feeling, and this lined up perfectly. I'm not huge of the curb on the left, but I still like this shot.

Jared

Jared, the first shot has potential. The composition is good but the flower could use some more lighting to illuminate it and let it stand out stronger. The second shot does not feel strong in composition. The last shot is unique and works as Nina stated.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Hi Jared,
    I love the bokeh of the first shot. It is very beautiful. You chose an unusal approach to shoot the flower which is usually illuminated. I wish to see it darker in this shot.
    yoyo

Thanks all for the words...

Gary - Thanks for your words, greatly appreciated. I realize your comment on the second one, I kinda really didn't think about it much last night when I posted it and realized that there isn't much I'll try lightening the first one around the flower, and see what happens.
    In the same stride however, I'll try darkening it to like yoyo suggested. Yoyo, Thanks for the words!

the single flower has much potential IMO. as a ps novice i am curious and watching what may come out of it as you folks experiment.

my visions are much more basic but i am open to learning new things.

Quote Originally Posted by terryger
    the single flower has much potential IMO. as a ps novice i am curious and watching what may come out of it as you folks experiment.

my visions are much more basic but i am open to learning new things.
    Terry,

Thanks for your words. I appreciate everybody's opinion, novice or professional.

Jared,

I have been trying to frame flowers in a more creative ways. Can't wait to practice with more flowers - after I fix my broken camera

I like the first photo if it can be lightened up a bit.

Thanks for sharing!

Corrie

Corrie,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me! The first photo is one of my favourite shots for me. The composition I love, and you get the sense of depth with the branch going to the background. I'll try lightening it up!

Thanks,

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e

Thank you very much and enjoy,

Jared
    The day certainly looked very nice, and the flowers are all beauteous. However, photographicly I only really like the first image as has the framing, color and exposure qualities I look for in such an image. It may have been prudent to use a bit of flash to light up the face of the flower, but I like it as is too.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Almo,

Thanks for the words!

Thread Information