Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Emo

My photo untitled. (warning...some offensive words)

Tell me what you think....im a beginner...so keep that in mind.

Edited

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar
    Thanks for the "warning".
    Interesting image.
    What made you make an image like this?
    What is the message you are trying to say?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Emo

Re: My photo untitled. (warning...some offensive words)

I was trying to capture the feeling of loving someone so much, in a one sided way. During this time i was going thru some rough stuff dealing with feeling like i wa the only one feeling this kind of love. And it hurt, and this picture completely captured the pain i was feeling, almost like dying from wanting to say how i felt...i don't know ive gotten a lot of mixed reviews...many good ones on the photography itself...but mixed on the message, i like how it can be taken as, i love you so much it hurts....and it can be taken as...im the only one in love, i feel broken . But i love being critiqued...it gives me ideas for more.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I can relate, somewhat anyway...

A few years ago, I used my photography to help me get through a rough spot in my life.
    It was very helpful to me.

Welcome to PR.com! I hope you learn as much as you can! There certainly a lot to learn here!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Opinionated Newbie

OK, while I simply do not understand this sort of expression (I have been through a very hard breakup -- much as you describe however), I can respect it.

The photography is a little weak to be honest with you. The lighting is flat. I suspect that you used standard indoor lighting. The surface you have the paper on is not good. I would go with a solid black or a solid white. The image is also not sharp, almost out of focus. The detail in the rose and "blood" should be extrememly sharp. As a matter of fact, if you set it up with a low depth of field, keeping the rose sharp, yet the word out of focus but legible, I think it would be far more effective.

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emo

Edited
    Hi Emo,

While I agree with Todd on the technical side, your composition and subject is like a punch in my stomach. The idea of the dried red rose that seemed to have bleeded over its color is just great (I would have hand written the note though).

You have successfully conveyed your emotions through photography. This is a shot that I will remember!

Cheers,

Steph.

Pretty Good

Emo-
    "Emo" is that like the emo in "emocore?" I can see that kind of influence in this image. You've used some very strong symbols in this photo that can't fail to invoke a response from people. There are some simple technical problems with the photo that are easy to solve. The real issu for me is whether this comes off as trite and silly. It sucks when people perceive your painful exposure as silly.

The technical problem is simply that this is too dark. I don't know what camera you're using, but all cameras try to average an exposure to a medium gray. When you focus on a white piece of paper, your camera's auto exposurewill make it too dark. Keep that in mind and either lock your focus on something at the same distance that's closer to middle gray, or use your camera's exposure compensation (if it has it) to brighten up the exposure. This one is probably one stop dark. Since it's already done, you can lighten it up with software. That really would work fnie. But it's always better to get these things done in the camera. In the long run that will deliver better results.

As for the emotional success of the image, what do you think? Does it feel to you like you expressed yourself or do you think you fell a little short? The symbolism is all there, but do you think a different angle or different lighting might have added something or made it stronger? Careful analysis of every detail will help you refine your message and your photos. Be brutally honest with yourself about the success of your images. It's always useful to ask other people's opinion. But we need to be our own worst critics.

Good job. You're following a tough path - expressing powerful emotions with your photography. I'm looking forward to seeing more and seeing you improve.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Pretty Good

I see a lot of pain in this photo.

I'd like to make a suggestion if you shoot the same idea again.
    Instead of white paper, maybe a torn piece of parchment or at least not white paper, and I agree with Steph on a hand written note being more affective.
    Lara

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Edited
    Hello, and welcome!

I think the composition in the second is much stronger, I also agree that a handwritten note would have been stronger... afterall most "love" notes are! Also, I like the background....reasons why:
    a) its easily distinguishable as a floor, therefore it makes the story of your photo stronger.. the love note ended up on the floor, also symbolizes (to me) that it is something that was thrown away, left and forgotten, as most of my trash ends up on the floor as well... first stop on its journey to the trashcan!

b) had this been a white background or black background, I think it would give it that " studio setup" feel, which IMO, would take away from the photo.

good post!
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

While I do like the feeling to this image........

My friend committed suicide(9mm) last month leaving a bloody note like this ...FLOWER TOO.

His note was a sorry note to his GF and family who loved him dearly too.(GUILT and LOVE was the cause in a nut shell)

I am in no way trying to say your image is in bad taste! I am just stating what I see in this image UNFORTUNATELY.

Keep shooting MOVING images like this!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Hi,
    I understand your sentiment and it is a powerful photograph. My only reservation (on a non-technical side) is the use of the f word. I don't mind anything like that at all, so I'm not objecting to it on a moral ground, I just think its use detracts from the image. I find the f word to be a stronger written word than the word love, and i think love is the word that needs to be emphasised.

I think the way the composition is so unsettling, both technically and emotionally, is very appealing. It makes me feel uncomfortable which is good. In other words; it has great, thought-provoking impact. I like!

Cheers,
    Chris

Just wanted to voice my opinion on the use of the F*bomb

I think that ( for me ) use of this word implies anger, and that, coupled with the blood makes the photo.
    Rachel

Emo

The use of the F-bomb to me is very much more powerful than love, that was very controversial to me at first also, should i only write, i love you, or the current way. Thinking about someone with rage, feeling rage because every other emotion has been torn down and ignored, they turn to rage, anger, hoping that it will show how they feel. It often will consume the person. Which is exactly what i was trying to instill, this person ran out of emotions, this wasnt just, a 16 year old boy in love with a girl after a week, this is a person infatuated with his lover, and when there was no return of his love, he was sad, and then depressed, and then his depression and sadness ran out, leaving only his anger, perhaps his lover had found someone new, and the attention that lovers give each other was gone. The use of the f_bomb, shows, the rage. the anger. How much he just wanted it back, and the period at the end shows the simplicity of his request, how simple it would have been for her to just love him back, it shows this boy isn't taking this lightly, this is the end for him, either the end of his ability to love, or the end of him, not being able to take this pain anymore. the rose shows their withering, or withered , dead, relationship, dried out, drained, or love. And the blood signifies it is the end, and the relationship suffered, it wasn't quick and painless, it was draining, and full of suffer.

*now obviously it can be taken so many ways, each time i see it i can find so much more meaning, or perhaps the way i see it can show you how a picture really is worth 1000 words.

The use of the F-bomb to me is very much more powerful than love, that was very controversial to me at first also, should i only write, i love you, or the current way. Thinking about someone with rage, feeling rage because every other emotion has been torn down and ignored, they turn to rage, anger, hoping that it will show how they feel. It often will consume the person. Which is exactly what i was trying to instill, this person ran out of emotions, this wasnt just, a 16 year old boy in love with a girl after a week, this is a person infatuated with his lover, and when there was no return of his love, he was sad, and then depressed, and then his depression and sadness ran out, leaving only his anger, perhaps his lover had found someone new, and the attention that lovers give each other was gone. The use of the f_bomb, shows, the rage. the anger. How much he just wanted it back, and the period at the end shows the simplicity of his request, how simple it would have been for her to just love him back, it shows this boy isn't taking this lightly, this is the end for him, either the end of his ability to love, or the end of him, not being able to take this pain anymore. the rose shows their withering, or withered , dead, relationship, dried out, drained, or love. And the blood signifies it is the end, and the relationship suffered, it wasn't quick and painless, it was draining, and full of suffer.

*now obviously it can be taken so many ways, each time i see it i can find so much more meaning, or perhaps the way i see it can show you how a picture really is worth 1000 words.

This is exactly what I got out of this photo! Except for the rose to me felt like maybe it was something that was given in the relationship... it could be from either person really.. It made me think of past relationships.. I still have a dozen dried roses hanging over my bed from an ex-boyriend, and that rose reminded me of those.
    Rachel

Opinionated Newbie

You know, I'm going to be an inconsiderate b@stard here.

I don't understand the Oooohing and Ahhhing over this photo. Compositionally, it's not good. The image is out of focus. The colors are muted and subpar. The use of the f'word brings nothing to the image except shock value .And finally, it's sophomoric mellow-dramatic crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    You know, I'm going to be an inconsiderate b@stard here.

I don't understand the Oooohing and Ahhhing over this photo. Compositionally, it's not good. The image is out of focus. The colors are muted and subpar. The use of the f'word brings nothing to the image except shock value .And finally, it's sophomoric mellow-dramatic crap.
    Well Todd, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean that its cool for you to come back and post that its crap.

It's the CONCEPT of the photo, that the photo was thought out and there were feelings BEHIND the concept of the photo... Are we only allowed to oooooh and Ahhh over pictures parents take of their kids?

Have your opinion, but let us have OUR own as well, Please. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate someone posting on YOUR thread that its sophmoric CRAP. ...and for that matter, NEITHER would I. Yes, I want honest opinions, but I wouldn't want put-downs. There's a difference
    Rachel

Opinionated Newbie

Clicker. I could care less what people say about "pictures of their kids". Trash them if you want. Others have and we all learn from it.

Look at this image. Look at it for what it is.

1) It is not sharp at all.
    2) The colors are flat
    3) The lighting needs vast improvement
    4) The composition leaves much to be desired.
    5) The "CONCEPT" is interesting but the execution is off.
    6) IT'S NOT DRAMATIC! Not at all. The colors need to be better. Maybe it needs to be black and white? The lighting needs to be better. The only thing that is dramatic is the bogus placement of the word "fuck". Let's face it, using a word such as that means an inability to express yourself. You resort to "shock" as opposed to thoughtful expression.

I stand by my statement about it being sophomoric crap. I know this poster is a beginner, and I can respect that. However, stroking him/her on this image is not going to make her/him any better. It simply is not a good image.

Clicker. I could care less what people say about "pictures of their kids". Trash them if you want. Others have and we all learn from it.
    Look at this image. Look at it for what it is.

1) It is not sharp at all.
    2) The colors are flat
    3) The lighting needs vast improvement
    4) The composition leaves much to be desired.
    5) The "CONCEPT" is interesting but the execution is off.
    6) IT'S NOT DRAMATIC! Not at all. The colors need to be better. Maybe it needs to be black and white? The lighting needs to be better. The only thing that is dramatic is the bogus placement of the word "fuck". Let's face it, using a word such as that means an inability to express yourself. You resort to "shock" as opposed to thoughtful expression.

I stand by my statement about it being sophomoric crap. I know this poster is a beginner, and I can respect that. However, stroking him/her on this image is not going to make her/him any better. It simply is not a good image.
    I know its not technically perfect, and that was stated by PR members, and I agree that its not... although i was sincere in my post when i stated that the second was compositionally more pleasing... All we were discussing was the concept, which you yourself ( see #5) stated was interesting. Someone already stated that they thought the execution was off, people have stated that they thought it should be handwritten, that it should be this, or the photographer should of done this... and so on... we are just discussing the photo and the concept... I don't understand why anyone should be upset because people are in your words " oooohhing and ahhhing" over this photo. ??? how Has this harmed you?

Oh, and I am not "stroking" anyone - And I never do... I treat people as I wish to be treated, meaning I give honest opinions and I wish to recieve the same. But do not want to be treated like I am retarded for showing interest in someones post.
    Rachel

Emo

Don't try to stand up for me, i was just trying my hand at expressing how i felt at the moment. The image was representative of me...so i guess im just sophmoric crap. which is fine. I asked for criticism and i got it, hard. This was the VERY first point and shoot type photograph i had ever taken, i wasn't really caring about the composition, i mean, i took it with a POS kodak digital camera my mom got for like 100 bucks, including dock. Its not mean to do all this great stuff. I appreciate your post todd, but the image means so much more than focus. I learned a lot from what he said, and i will take it to heart, i guess i tried...and if i suck at it...theres nothing more i can do. So i guess this isn't my tea. and its crap.

Opinionated Newbie

Oh god. Don't start feeling sorry for yourself.

Why did you post the image here? What were your reasons? We critique the photo's here. Let's see, I've said it before. The concept is interesting. The execution is not good. Do you want everyone to tell you it's a great image when it's not?

You go ahead and give up. That's just what you should do. Give up because some @sshole on a message board says your photo isn't good at all Damn, instead, use it as motivation to do it better and IMPROVE your expression. Come back and show us something more creative. Something more subtle and not so in your "f'in" face.

I am not an artist. I don't think like a tortured human being. I don't grasp it at all. That's just me.

Don't try to stand up for me.
    Emo,** I felt** put down when Todd posted ! I felt as if someone had told me that i was WRONG for thinking your post was interesting... So, really I was standing up for myself.. My Right to voice my opinion on a photography Critique forum that is BASED on people being able to voice their opinions with out being told they are wrong and what they are viewing is crap. I was standing up for my right to be able to post my own opinion without being belittled. Afterall, isn't that the point of this forum? He had already posted his opinion about the technical faults of your photo, and knew he was being inconsiderate in his post and stated that he was. I'm not the only person that has shown some interest in your concept, keep that in mind.
    Rachel

Emo

Oh god. Don't start feeling sorry for yourself.

Why did you post the image here? What were your reasons? We critique the photo's here. Let's see, I've said it before. The concept is interesting. The execution is not good. Do you want everyone to tell you it's a great image when it's not?

You go ahead and give up. That's just what you should do. Give up because some @sshole on a message board says your photo isn't good at all Damn, instead, use it as motivation to do it better and IMPROVE your expression. Come back and show us something more creative. Something more subtle and not so in your "f'in" face.

I am not an artist. I don't think like a tortured human being. I don't grasp it at all. That's just me.
    Im not giving up on the concept. The concept interests me....and if you or anyone else thinks the concept is crap, im sorry, because i can feel emotion, and to this second i can feel how i felt at that second. Giving up on photography....never, will i post again...yes, with an image similar with the same 5hitty camera...probably, having little to no money to afford anything else, it has autofocus blah blah blah, thats all i can work with, in about two weeks i will have money to purchase a better camera. But until then...of course they will suck, and don't bother thinking of a creative way to be an @sshole...just copy paste...im sure it will save time. I like the photo, and will continue, hoping to climb maybe from sophomoric crap....to something a little better perhaps.....I do appreciate your post though. BTW did you ever stop and think that maybe i might be in that point of my life where melodrama is appealing....???? Im 17 almost 18, i went to a school for theater and visual arts...mellow drama is what i lived for 4 years. And...i as well used to be an art student, not in photo of course, but drawing and costume design, painting ect. being a tortured human being, and having petty overly dramatic teenage angst, is in my blood.
    ;) thanks again

And thank you clicker, its people like you that give people like me inspiration to strive to get better, its people like him that make people like me give up.

I've done the melodramatic phase, it's a good phase. It made me feel stronger. My medium at the time was other people's music, your medium is your own photography. Everyone else's opinon is just that, an opinion. Don't worry about it, ignore it and stay attached to your ideals; it's all that counts.

Emo

Thank you, and to clear something up, im not some melodramatic teen who threatens to kill herself is she doesn't get to go out or something .....so dont go generalizing, and also, yes this photograph had something to do with actual love, I am engaged, and there was a cold feet sort of situation...ack no one wants to hear anyways but yes...its not some insane teenager who wants to die taking blood pics. just me

And thank you clicker, its people like you that give people like me inspiration to strive to get better, its people like him that make people like me give up.
    You are more than welcome. And I don't think its " sophmoric" either, I forgot to mention that, there plenty of adults whom have marriages that don't work out and they fall to pieces... The human heart is frail. Not all people possess the type of anger that your photo touches on but all people have feelings and are open to pain. Its up to that person as to how they react.
    Rachel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information