Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Opinions on framing requested.

Greetings everyone.

There's some really talented people here and I've learned a lot, over this past week, since I first found the forum.

I just purchased a new digital camera this week (I had a 1 megapixel for about a year now) and really want to start getting a little more serious about digital photography.

I was hoping to get some advice on this photo I took this afternoon, in between rain clouds.

I like the photo and what I was trying to capture, however, from those of you with more experience, would you suggest a different way of framing that would make this picture look even better?

Do you think it was neccessary to have the entire blade of grass in the shot? Should I have gotten even closer? Would the picture look better if the blade of grass was positioned differently in the frame?

Any helpful feedback would be welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Judland
    Greetings everyone.

There's some really talented people here and I've learned a lot, over this past week, since I first found the forum.

I just purchased a new digital camera this week (I had a 1 megapixel for about a year now) and really want to start getting a little more serious about digital photography.

I was hoping to get some advice on this photo I took this afternoon, in between rain clouds.

I like the photo and what I was trying to capture, however, from those of you with more experience, would you suggest a different way of framing that would make this picture look even better?

Do you think it was neccessary to have the entire blade of grass in the shot? Should I have gotten even closer? Would the picture look better if the blade of grass was positioned differently in the frame?

Any helpful feedback would be welcomed.
    First of all. Nice work.

I usually don't mind when a tight crop clips off a bit of the subject, but I think your shot would be strengthened by having the tip of the blade of grass in the frame.
    One of the nice things about your shot is that most of the blade is in the plane of focus. If you take this from a different angle to get the blade running through the frame diffently, you would have to accept having some of those beautiful drops on the leaf out of focus or use a wider depth of field which could result in the background intruding more on the main subject.

Thanks, Chunk, for your feedback.

In the original photo, I did capture the tip of the blade of grass. So, what you're saying is crop more of the stalk so the entire blade is in frame.

The original photo might have been alright as I shot it, but I was concerned that, as you say, too much of the background would clutter the scene. And, I wasn't too sure if having the blade of grass on the center diagonal would be aesthetically pleasing... if you know what I mean.
    No pixels were harmed during the taking of these pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by Judland
    Thanks, Chunk, for your feedback.

In the original photo, I did capture the tip of the blade of grass. So, what you're saying is crop more of the stalk so the entire blade is in frame.

The original photo might have been alright as I shot it, but I was concerned that, as you say, too much of the background would clutter the scene. And, I wasn't too sure if having the blade of grass on the center diagonal would be aesthetically pleasing... if you know what I mean.
    My opinion on this is that I like the full blade in the shot and like the angle at which it falls. What I don't like is how distracting the background is here. All the other blades are fighting for the attention lessdof would have blurred them out more might have helped. I think if you have any skills with photoshop, desaturate the bg , not completely, just enough to remove some vibrance and leave the subject blade the star of the show I would desaturate and darken a bit Hope you don't mind , just to show you what I mean and cropped a bit on the bottom and the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Opinions on framing requested.-grassblade.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Ah, I see what you mean. Thank you for the feedback. It is appreciated.

Along with desaturating the background, would blurring it a bit more help too?

I don't use Photoshop, but G.I.M.P. works just as well for me... being a Linux guy and all .
    No pixels were harmed during the taking of these pictures...

Blurring it would help as well. You could try one or the other, or all. Whatever you feel helps it the best and to your liking is the way to go. Of course, you may like it as it was, and that is fine as it is your shot and there is no " right or wrong" when it comes to creating an image. Just offered my two cents
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information