One room house

Printable View

• 03-20-2004, 07:29 PM
    CB Photo
    1 Attachment(s)
    One room house
    This is at Table Rock, South Carolina. I shot this one afternoon while my wife was shopping at the local shops. This house is very lonely looking but I just did not get that feeling on the film.

mamiya M645
    Tmax 100
    1\60 @f11
    Developed in Tmax

Comments welcome!
  • 03-20-2004, 09:16 PM
    kkraczek
    I'm not an expert, but I love this photo- it is stunning in B&W! Very nice~
    :)
  • 03-21-2004, 04:05 PM
    SunnySideUp
    I like the shot... I think you were too close to get the feeling of loneliness.
  • 03-21-2004, 05:30 PM
    CB Photo
    thanks
    good point about being too close for the lonely feeling.
  • 03-21-2004, 05:31 PM
    PuckJunkey
    It's a very good photo from a technical standpoint.

I think the reason it lost its mood is that you've zoomed in a bit too much. Maybe had you stood back a bit or used a wider focal length, it might've shown some of the Spanish moss hanging down on the roof (I've seen lots of houses like this in SC so I can imagine what you're saying) or maybe a dirt path leading up to it... something to give it the feel of a sort of empty place.
  • 03-21-2004, 08:57 PM
    sabraunlich
    i've always been a fan of darkening my shots if i want a lonely (closer to deserted/lonely than occupied lonely) shot
  • 03-21-2004, 09:57 PM
    gahspidy
    I'm big on dark , haunting sort of shots, but as others stated stepping back a bit probably would have helped this. But my immediate disappointment I got when looking at this shot was that the subject (the house) was sort of lost with no contrast. If some of the light were to hit the house and high light it a degree, or if by steeping back we could see the edge of the house outlined against some sky or something lighter , it would have helped make it the point of interest. I still like it as the subject is good.