Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: critique please

critique please

Hi guys. What am I doing wrong here that you can suggest I get a better shot? I sharpened and used blur of the background of the orange flower. I'm limited to where I can go, so my neighbor's yard was where I could try a few shots.
    The flowers weren't perfectly still, and I couldn't stablize my camera. For close shots like this, not such great circumstances.

I tried different settings, f/stops etc. I know that with the purple flower, I focused in the wrong spot!

Thanks for any input. I realize these are boring, but ya know
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Lara

As any flower/macro ish type image I shoot results in massive suckage, I'm not sure what I would suggest.

Just wanted to let you know that your colors are beautiful. I especially like the first.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

I suggested to someone else this same advice - think of flowers like people - focus on one and use the rest as background! You know when you take a photo of someone and people in the background have heads cut off? Well, it has the same effect with flowers, frame the whole picture, if there is a flower being cut off in the background see if you can take it out of the background.
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Thanks Janie! So you are saying that if a flower isn't whole in the shot, try to crop it out? Or just go try to take the photo again?

Adina, appreciate you like the colors. Pretty flowers for sure. I noticed how vivid they looked out my window this morning, so I ran over and took a few shots.
    Lara

The middle one I would not use, but the other two have potential. Two things ruin the middle one for me, the background and how stacked the flowers are. There is no definition between the petals due to the way they are arranged, and the background is jsut way too distracting.

The other two are good. You got close and eliminated most of the needless elements. More careful focus and framing will only help here.

Glad to be looking at these.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    Thanks Janie! So you are saying that if a flower isn't whole in the shot, try to crop it out? Or just go try to take the photo again?

Adina, appreciate you like the colors. Pretty flowers for sure. I noticed how vivid they looked out my window this morning, so I ran over and took a few shots.
    Well, think of it this way - if the flower was a person in the crowd, how would you frame the shot? I've attempted taking pics of flowers with others in the background and it just doesn't work well at all - unless you blur them out or darken them or crop them out - which the crop out isn't always possible. Do you know how to use the masking tool in photoshop? You can mask the main flower subject then blur and darken the rest and give it slightly less contrast than the main flower - I do that too. These are things just to make the viewer aware of what the subject of the photo really is. And if you can think of a story to tell with the subject, try that as well (I do that in my head, when i'm snapping the photo - I talk to the flower! lol)

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    Well, think of it this way - if the flower was a person in the crowd, how would you frame the shot? I've attempted taking pics of flowers with others in the background and it just doesn't work well at all - unless you blur them out or darken them or crop them out - which the crop out isn't always possible. Do you know how to use the masking tool in photoshop? You can mask the main flower subject then blur and darken the rest and give it slightly less contrast than the main flower - I do that too. These are things just to make the viewer aware of what the subject of the photo really is. And if you can think of a story to tell with the subject, try that as well (I do that in my head, when i'm snapping the photo - I talk to the flower! lol)

one more thing - the flower isn't going anywhere so snap it at all different angles and be aware of the background! Lay on the ground and have the sky as your background or look directly over top and have the ground your background-find a really cool, but different angle!

Member:

Great suggestions Janie. They are very helpful and much appreciated.

My back limits my range of motion. If I lay on the ground, I might not be able to get back up LOL But I'll try your suggestions of moving around to get a better background!
    Lara

Beware: Mom With Camera
    I know nothing about taking pictures of anything but screaming children... LOL... but just wanted to add that I really like the pink shot -- the dew drops really add something to it, I think. Very beautiful detail!
    Kate

Thanks Kate! I'm glad you like!

You're children's shots are really beautiful. Adina, Nat and several others on this site have a knack of really capturing little ones in action. I envy that!
    Charles Hess is amazing with his photography with just about anything! But I love his people photos
    Lara

Hey, you know what, if you really want to get great shots of flowers, take some inside and create a composition - then you'll have a good sense of how to frame it best and you won't have to worry about your back!

Member:

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    Hey, you know what, if you really want to get great shots of flowers, take some inside and create a composition - then you'll have a good sense of how to frame it best and you won't have to worry about your back!
    Excellent advice.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Yes it is! In fact, Seb already suggested that to me! Senior moment
    Thanks to you both!
    Lara

Thread Information